99 Camry LE 4 Cyl Auto ..... hard to move shift lever ?

My 99 Camry LE 4 Cyl Auto w/approx 100K miles has very recently become more difficult to physically move the gearshift lever between the various positions (e.g., P-R-N-D-L). The transmission itself is shifting & operating fine, car is running OK, no drivetrain problems noted, no strange noises, fuel mileage & power OK, etc. It just feels like the shiftlever mechanism is physically binding somewhere. Transmission has been properly maintained & not abused.

Anyone run into this before ? Any ideas or suggestions ?

Will watch for replies in this newsgroup.

Many thanks !

Reply to
Justa Lurker

We call that the coffee/soda syndrome. Any liquid not consumed by the driver loves to get right in there. It's a matter of taking it apart and cleaning it up, usually.

Reply to
Qslim

I have had the same problem a while ago and I got the same replies from a few in the group saying that I spilled coffee or something else in the console. Knowing that this was not the case I looked for other causes and I found that the shift cable "junction" connecting the cable to the transaxle became stiff (in the engine compartment, right at the transmission) . Lubrication with WD-40 did the trick. And I now periodically lubricate that "junction". Everything is nice since. The dealer suggested that I change the cable entirely. That is costly. Good luck JG

Reply to
Jean-Guy Paradis