99 Camry using oil on long trips (sometimes)

This one has me puzzled and I need some help. My 99 4 cyl Camry doesn't use any oil between oil changes every 3-4000 miles(I do it myself) when its just local driving or 200 mile trips around the state. But when we drive to the midwest -2 day trip - interstate all the way

- driving 65 to 70 mph steady -1200 miles one way - sometimes I use a quart of oil and sometimes I dont use any. We've made at least 10 trips. I cannot see any oil leaks and the exhaust pipe is not black with carbon buildup. I took it to the dealer when it was still under warranty and they coudn't find anything wrong. Other than that I have had no problems with it. Any ideas?

Reply to
graybuckle

Your generation of Camry has engine sludge problems. It starts with the engine using oil, then the check oil light will come on and then engine seizes.

If there are no other causes then keep an eye out for this. Keep you receipts for oil changes. You are still under the 8 year exteneded sludge warranty and you'll need the oil change receipts.

Reply to
johngdole

That's not unusual -- the oil is in vapor state from the high heat and is burn. Its not something a warranty would cover. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
Wolfgang

This is not something I've observed, but have heard about. With short trips, in cold weather, moisture settles in the oil actually causing the level to rise. On long trips this water evaporates out, lowering the level.

Reply to
Daniel

I had this happen several times during the winter with a '64 Volkswagen that I once owned.

Reply to
Fotofreak