AC Recharge for a '98 Camry

My AC isn't cooling my '98 Camry down as much as I'd like. Are there any general tips on recharging the AC?

Using my Haynes manual, I used a thermometer and found the AC only blows at about 18 degrees farenheit cooler then the outside temperature, whereas Haynes said it should be 35 to 40 degrees cooler.

Any tips are appreciated as I'm not terribly mechanically inclined.

Thanks,

Reply to
Paul G.

Take it to an AC service center - they will check for leaks and add proper amount of the correct refridgerant. Canned refridgerant under exstream pressure is not something you should mess with. Stick to changing the plugs and oil.

Reply to
Wolfgang

The proper way to do it is to hook it up to a service machine, evacuate the refrigerant and oil, draw a vacuum on the system to check for leaks, and then recharge it with a specified amount. Doing this will ensure that the system operates at the desired effieciency and also pinpoint any leaks. Gone are the days when you can just crank $3.00 cans of refrigerant into a car until it gets cold. Newer systems are much more sensitive and expensive.

Reply to
qslim

Regardless of the tone of the other two posts, if you are just a bit low on charge, you can easily do it yourself. (In the nine years of this car's life, it is permitted to lose a little refrigerant. No seal is perfect, BUT if it is a serious leak, you will have to take serious measures to get a long term repair.)

You can buy a R134a charge kit with a can or two of R134a at any WalMart. The charge hose should have a pressure gauge, and there will be a chart which will give you a typical range of suction side pressures at ambient temperature ranges. Read the instructions first.

Screw a can of 134a securely onto the kit receiver, and use the piercing valve to pierce the top of the can. Leave the piercing valve closed at this point. You do not want the refrigerant to exit the can yet.

Attach the hose fitting to the suction side of the AC system. There will be snap fittings on the tubing going to and from the compressor, but your kit should only fit one of them---the low pressure side. Do not, under any circumstances, try to connect to the other fitting.

Start the car and turn on the AC. Be sure the compressor is running (if it is too low on refrigerant, the compressor will not come on. You will have to add a bit of refrigerant before the compressor will start to cycle on and off)

Read the pressure on the gauge. Comparing that gauge pressure with the chart which came with the kit, you will see if you need to add refrigerant.

If so, hold the can in the upright position, and gently start unscrewing the piercing valve. When refrigerant starts flowing into the sealed system, you will see the pressure change on your gauge. You may stop and start your charging process from time to time to allow the gas pressures to equilibrate.

Go slowly. As the pressure increases in the system, and as your refrigerant can depletes, the process will slow down. You can put the refrigerant can in a pan of warm water if you wish, to speed things up.

When you get to the right pressure range, then stop and remove the kit. Check your cooling.

You CAN do this job. It is not complicated, nor dangerous, as long as you follow instructions.

People who only recommend that you go to a service center or a dealership usually dont know much about the mechanical aspects of car ownership (although there are SOME things better left to a professional!)

Good luck.

Reply to
<HLS

Thanks KLS. My AC works pretty good and the compressor appears to work fine so I'm confident there are no major problems with it.

I live in Canada, and while WalMart in the US carries R134 kits, no such thing is available here. I also checked out a few auto stores who don't carry any either. Possibly there's a law against recharging one's own AC here.

I'll check a few more stores before deciding which route to take on my AC.

Reply to
Paul G.

All AC systems leak, and up to 0.5 oz leak per year is considered acceptable. Check the web site on their FAQs and how-to videos:

johngdole

After phoning a few more places, it appears that it is illegal for retailers in Canada to sell R134A refill kits.

So, I will get a professional to do the job. If my AC simply needs a recharge, what type of cost should I be looking at?

Thanks,

Reply to
Paul G.

First the inspection for leaks etc. That's about C$70 Plus any repairs needed Then the R134A top up, that's another C$100 or so

Reply to
Father Guido

Hard to say, from the USA viewpoint, what the professional might be required to do. Is he allowed to top up a slightly leaky system? Or must perform a total repair?

A can or two of refrigerant as a top up from a professional should not be very expensive, if it is allowed...Maybe US$25-50.

Reply to
<HLS

Had my Camry's AC serviced yesterday. The total was $165 Cdn. which I thought was very reasonable and it works like a charm now.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Reply to
Paul G.