Snow chains for a '98 Camry?

I need to get snow chains (or cables) for my 1998 Toyota Camry.

I've never owned snow chains before so I really don't know what I'm doing.

A friend recommended these:

And I'm confused by the clearance issues. I've read that chains can hit the struts as well as the wheel wells. This is hard for me to imagine because it seems like there's plenty of room in there. And I can't find any hard data on compatibility.

My tires are Goodyear Assurance TripleTred P195/70T14.

Can anyone recommend chains or cables for a '98 Camry?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Bruce W.1

Chains can be troublesome. Have you considered a set of serious snow tires first, with studs installed?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Please explain as to exactly WHY you think that you need tire chains.

Reply to
sharx35

I can't speak for the OP, but when I lived in California, during certain winter conditions, the California Highway Patrol requires 2 wheel drive vehicles to either carry or install chains in the mountains. On the way to Lake Tahoe, if snow if falling or forecast, the CHP will have road blocks where drivers have to show that they have chains in the car, or if the roads are bad, they have to install the chains. It is not reasonable to make people who see snow 1 or 2 weekends a year to invest in snow tires, so chains seem to be a reasonable compromise. 4WD vehicles were exempt from the chain requirement most of the time, although IIRC, in some conditions, the only vehicles that were allowed through the road block were 4WD vehicles with chains. I don't know if that is still the case, or if any other locations have similar rules. I suspect that those rules were put in place because so many Californians have so little experience driving in snow. I remember being elected to drive back to San Francisco from Reno during a snow storm because I was the only one who had ever driven in snow.

Reply to
Ray O

Read your manual, but I think the Camry needs chains that meet SAE Class S. And these seem to meet those requirements...

These cable chains are probably better than real chain links (which I've got, and which also happen to be Class S). With the cables, you can drive a little faster, and there's less risk of damaging the wheel well (which I managed to do, a couple years back, coming back home to Sacramento from Lake Tahoe).

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

It would help if you mentioned why you needed them....there is a difference if you are going to be in heavy snow in the passes of the Cascades of Washington vs. a "I need them because I am going to drive interstate 5 and during this time of year you are required to carry chains."

If you are really going to be doing a lot of driving where you KNOW you will be using them in very adverse conditions, I would suggest going with an actual chain.

The diamond chains are easy to put on and give much better grip than the cables. But, in most cases, cables should be fine...

I live in the snowy woods, where if it weren't for the diamond chains I would never be able to closer than a half-mile to my house for part of the winter.....

If you go to an actual tire dealer (like les schwab), you'll get a perfect fit, be shown how to put them on and will know they will work before YOU NEED them.

And, I am not schilling for LES, I actually don't patronize them anymore, but any local tire store should be happy to help. Yep, you might pay more than at a bargain auto parts place, but on the middle of a mountain pass in 6-degree weather with a blizzard blowing in.....

Reply to
spswanson

Those Les Schwab Quick Fit Diamond Chains look pretty nifty.

The reason I'm getting chains is because I will be driving around in the Appalachian Mountains this February. I will not install them unless I really need them.

This is just a safety precaution. I've driven there before in the winter and have had considerable difficulty in the snow at times.

One time a group of cars (including me) sat all night long on a hill because noone could get up the icy road. Not even the 4-WD vehicles could make it. In the morning the sun melted the ice. I'm not sure how much chains would do for ice.

Reply to
Bruce W.1

I live out in the West. Odds are a set of "S" diamond chains can fit your vehicle, but odds are you won't need them and cables are usually cheaper and easier to work with.

Chains however DO give better traction than cables, especially on ice. Last week I had to chain up after an ice storm and spent most of the day taking other folks about, because even their 4X4 weren't able to get around, while my chained mini-van had no problem.

SCC used to have a chart on their web site that give the various stopping distances for the various types of chained vs cable vs "non" chained rigs in various types of snow and ice, but I don't see it anymore. They probably got sued by someone who didn't stop within the guidelines on their page.

Anyway, as I recall, the diamond chains were the very best, followed by ladder chain and then z-cable. If the cables fit, and I doubt very much that you would have any trouble in that respect, go for them. They are a great product. I know many folks around here that use them or a competitor's "identical" product.

Reply to
timbirr

Reply to
Richard Cheney

25 inches of snow a winter is FUCK ALL. You do NOT need snow times for that little snow. What the FUCK is wrong with simply ADJUSTING your driving to the very temporary (5% of the time) conditions?
Reply to
sharx35

For those few occasions when traction devices are required or mandated on paved roads, cables work fine. You should have no problem on a freeway like I5. Chains work better or course, but remember the Camry has low ground clearance. How much snow and ice do you really want to plow through.

Reply to
toyomoho

Geez you ARE a rude little prick, f*ck off!

Reply to
Wonko the Angry

Sharx disagrees with absolutely everything. I suspect that moments after he decides what to have for lunch, he begins cursing at himself for making a lousy choice.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Haven't YOU ever ordered something in a restaurant and THEN regretted it?

Reply to
sharx35

Of the last dozen messages you've posted, this is the first that wasn't full of obscenities or insults. Are you OK?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Just my usual pre-Christmas malaise! Too many people laughing and joking. Bah! Humbug! You little denizens of Whoville will pay and you will pay dearly.

Reply to
sharx35

Maybe you should stop by the "While Clinton slept" discussion and help golf boy, who claimed he was unable to think of any federal services available for free to all citizens.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What is this "FREE" bullshit? NOTHING in life is free....except shit and abuse. Those supposed free services are PAID for by TAXES on people like me who PAY taxes.

Reply to
sharx35

No charge, other than the tax you've already paid.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I pay thousands a year in tax..so spare me the "OTHER than the tax you've already paid" bullshit. It is NOT free, it is simply PREpaid.

Reply to
sharx35