1998 Camry starts, but then engine dies

All, Hoping someone has some insight into this problem. I have had this problem twice in the last 3 months:
I can start the car but if I don't continue to press the gas pedal, the
engine dies.
If I keep pressing the gas pedal long enough (about 2-3 minutes), then the engine will stay on.
If I turn the car off a few minutes after that, and then turn it on again, it works fine.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
-Joe.
Joe wrote: I can start the car but if I don't continue to press the gas pedal, the

=Replace the idle air control valve under the front of the throttle body. See: http://oregonstate.edu/~tongt/camry/index.html
Thanks, Daniel.
Expensive little gadget - almost $ 200.00 OEM.
-Joe.

You can try to clean it first. Camrys are notorious for fouled up IACs. Just cleaned mine with throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush. Works like new (at least will be for a while). Google on how to do this.

Thanks for the tip.. I'll try it
-Joe.