Alternator needs sharp rap to resume charging

During a three hour trip, I was forced to exit the roadway several times to open the hood and give the alternator body a light hammer blow to get the alternator to resume proper function.

Is there a likelihood that replacing brushes or another component would cure this intermittent alternator drop-out, or is it more probable that the entire alternator needs to be replaced?

Reply to
Zipdisk

It is most likely the brushes. Some alternators are constructed so that the brushes can be replaced without disassembling the alternator. Unfortunately I don't think your alternator is made this way. Still if you are reasonably competent with tools, you can do the job. Here is a references that might be useful -

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Replace the brushes before you crush the frames!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I've found on my 88 corolla that's also carbureted, in order to have good operation from a cold start the choke needs to be set just right, i've found these carbs quite picky on where the choke setting is. Has your carb ever been rebuilt? ______

Reply to
Kapp

Thanks for the link, Ed. I'll have no problem replacing the brushes... if I can just keep my youngest one from grabbing them and tucking them away somewhere. We lost more remote controls to his sense of order.

Reply to
Zipdisk

If you think it is bad now - wait awhile.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I'm not sure how a "rap with a hammer" would fix a brush problem. But I do see how it might fix a bearing problem. And the other thing is, you didn't mention what year/type of vehicle, which could have a bearing on what type of altenator you have, and whether it is even "repairable", without a complete rebuild.

I just did an altenator replacement on my '94 Corolla. Cost was $100 for the altenator, and 1.5 hours of my time to do the work. The replacement was pretty easy, except for the usual contortion snafus, and the Corolla belt adjustment jig made getting the belt properly tensioned a breeze.

Reply to
Mark Paulus

Sorry for the oversight. This alternator drop-out is on an '88 Camry,

3SFE engine, pre-'88 build alternator.

There is no bearing noise indicating their imminent failure, whereas the light rap with a hammer could free a very worn brush that has stuck in the brush holder.

For the twenty dollars expense, I'll replace the brushes and give it a go.

Reply to
Zipdisk

Though the the alternator started to look like a hammered pewter bowl.we were able to nurse it to the point when we could get a new alternator brush sub-assembly.

A little armature cleanup and it was ready to go. The brush sub-assembly, Part No. 27370-35060 cost about $17

Reply to
Zipdisk