Are Hirschmann Aftermarket Power Antennas Any Good?

The OEM unit on our new-to-us Camry wagon is not behaving well. A replacement OEM unit costs $279 - installation not included. I see that I can use a Hirschmann 2040 unit, with a little adapting, and it costs *much* less. Are these things any good?

Reply to
mj

I replaced my power antenna with a $40 unit from AutoZone. I was intending to get a new mast and fix the broken unit. But the replacement has been working fine for 2 years.

Reply to
Stubby

Was it a Hirschman?

Reply to
mj

If it's a broken mast, I'd recommend against replacing the mast. If it's anything like the MR2's, those things are crimped in place and aren't really designed to easily replace. It took a lot of careful griding with a Dremel tool to get the thing apart. And then there was no place left to recrimp the new one.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

I'm sorry, but I don't remember.

Reply to
Stubby

"mjc13 13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
mack

Are you sure it isn't just the mast that needs replacing? Those are $15 on Ebay.

Once it is fixed (or IF you can possibly still coax it up), just pull the power connector on the antenna motor once the mast is in the position you want it. Luckily reception is pretty good on my unit so I have been able to leave it in the down position. Too many crackheads love to break off the antennas to use for crack pipes. So leaving the antenna up all the time is asking for trouble :( If I go on a roadtrip, I just put the antenna up for the trip.

Reply to
-

The mast was already replaced one. The gears are undoubtedly worn.

What I suggested was a switch that lets you decide when the antenna will raise or lower, not leaving it up all the time.

Reply to
mj