Be glad you have a Camry and not an Accord---Headlight Bulb Replacement

Last weekend I was visiting my sister in Atlanta and noticed that one of her low beams was out on her 2004 Accord. I naively offered to change the bulb for her, suggesting she change both of them at the same time to Sylvania Silver Star bulbs. After all, I'm used to doing minor maintenance on Toyotas, so how hard could a bulb replacement be?

So her son goes and buys the bulbs and I open the hood to have a look. OMG, this is not going to be easy. I go on-line to look for the procedure. OMG again. They suggest removing the plastic panels over the left front wheel to get to the left side lamp, while the right side lamp is accessible from under the hood. I take out the battery instead, to get access to the left side. The right lamp is accessible--sort of, because a lot of junk blocks the way. I use a stubby Phillips screwdriver, taking great care to not drop the three screws that hold the lamp into the fixture, working blindly by feel to get the screws out. I repeat the same thing for the left side, also working blindly. Amazingly I don't drop any of the screws during the contortions of putting the sockets back into the fixtures with new bulbs, and screwing them in (feeling blindly for the screw holes, while trying to keep the lamp socket in place). I do drop the screwdriver at one point, necessitating removing a plastic panel under the car to get it back.

On a Camry you can change the bulb in minutes, without tools. At least the Honda Accord isn't like the Saturn Aura where you have to remove the bumper to change the headlights. What great engineering--not.

Reply to
SMS

Silverstars suck, I had 2 burn out in a year, an no i didnt touch them when handling them

Reply to
ransley

I believe the new Camry's specify removing the bumper, but I think it's' for marker lights not headlights. The disease spreads.

Reply to
Bob H

Disease is correct. It's the new engineering, only engineer enough into the product to make it work and take the easy way to get the product out. For example, look at the drive by wire problems in the new car models (hesitation, slow response, gear hunting,etc). I was a design enginner and when I designed equipment (not autos), we took into account ease of customer maintenance. It was reflected in the design and the documentation that went with it. It may have not been the greatest product but it worked you could maintain the unit with easy to get spare parts without major disassembly.

Reply to
bluto

My wife had a 2005 accord hybrid. Should be the same design as the 2004. Headlites sucked. Replaced them with HIR bulbs. Incredible difference. See

I have no business relationship. The guy there used to post headlight info on car newsgroups.

The bulb base will require trimming to fit but well worth it. Bring back those Sylvania bulbs. You will thank me.

As far as installing them, I didn't find it too bad. I did most from the engine compartment. I think I had to change one bulb on drivers side from wheel well. It would have been easier if I had opened up user manual before starting.

Reply to
Art

There is no HIR, so maybe you meant HID and ballast?

Reply to
ransley