Re: 0W-30?

If you're in the temperature range of say, 10W-30, which is typically above 0 def F, then both oils should have approximately the same viscosity (in real life Castrol 10W-30 and Mobil 10W-30 synthetics are different, Mobil-1 is thinner)

Then 10W will have LESS viscosity modifiers than 5W, and when these modifiers gradually break down you won't end up with a thinner oil with insufficient oil film strength at operating temp.

Too much modifiers isn't a good thing, an old example is the good ol'

10W-40. Becuase of viscosity modifiers there is less oil in the 10W-40 than 10W-30 to help lubricate your engine!!!

You know, that's the exact same logic I used when I first switched

from 5W-30 to 10W-30. Now because of information I learned about cold > start wear, I'm leaning back to 5W-30. (Better fuel economy, too, in > this age of $4/gallon gas.) It's all supposed to be the same > viscosity when warm anyway, right? So cold starts should dictate > which oil to use...??? > > Michael
Reply to
johngdole

This is true. The larger the difference between the two numbers, the more modifiers and less base stock. In warm weather you're better off with 10W30, in cold weather you're better off with 5W30. In extremely cold weather there might be some advantage to 0W30, but don't use it unless you really are in an extreme cold weather area.

Reply to
SMS

If you are scared of VI improvers, use Redline oil, which uses mostly polyol esters and some PAO only for base stock. Of course one pays dearly for this.

Reply to
jjnunes

Reply to
johngdole

Haven't thought of that application. Nice idea.

Reply to
jjnunes