[Camry 99] Starter motor

Hi everyone,

While I would normally say just about everything that "You can't win!" today it sure was a day when I *did* win.

Story background follows. About a week ago, starting one morning I have noticed that as soon as I turn the key in the ignition, the starter motor would make funny noises. Instead of a loud "CLACK!" followed by the noise of the engine starting, this time it was just a "Whirrrr!" and much later a series of griding noises. Re-attempting to start, would result in much similar noises and after about 3-4 attempts, it would finally do a "whir-CLACK!" and start the engine.

Anyways, initially I suspected the battery, since I've been there before just under 12 months ago. However, I have noticed that the lights are as strong as ever, wipers are working full speed and power and there's nothing wrong otherwise to indicate a premature death of the battery.

Comes today, and car would just "whirrr" away, and every now and again would bounce the starter gear off the fly-wheel. Damn! I think. It's Sunday, Sweet F. All stores opened, no car services, no nothing. After a while I managed to find a few stores that were opened. Auto-Barn gave me the bird saying that my car - a 99 Camry is too new for them to carry starter-motors, and that I should try to see a service.

"Good-o" I think. Try Repco. Succes! Repco has it, I part company with AUD 200, grab the new starter motor and I'm on my way, thinking I've done a pretty good deal. On my way home I drop into Super-Cheap to ask for a quote from them for the part I already bought, just to see how much they ask for - $270! Hmm, so I've done a good deal, after all.

15 minutes later, I get home and on to change the part. All goes well, un-mounting the old and re-mounting the new starter motor. Only that when I try to connect the last electric clip, I notice that it won't just sit in there. *SHIT* You cannot WIN!

Taking the starter motor off I have a look at them and see that apart from that connector (which has a different shape) everything is the same. Same power, same voltage. Oh, different part serial number, which I have noticed before installing it, but thought nothing of it.

Anyways, I take it back along with *my* pooched motor, for them to compare and give me the right part. Which they don't have, and has to be ordered in! Bastards! Oh, and Bosch is migrating everyone from the old model of starter motor to the new model. With *no adapter in the box*. Arrgh! This calls for a quick change of plans come tomorrow, in the vain attempt to find the Holy Grail, errr... Holy Starter Motor by trawling through all the services available around me, and all the auto-stores.

Defeated for today, I turn back home, thinking that if nothing else, I'll just take the damned thing apart and see how it looks inside, maybe at a later date it will serve me good, knowing what's inside this model of starter motor. So I start with the coil - you know, the one that pushes in the spinning gear-head. All looks ok, no smoke, no dirt all cool. A bit greasy, but that's to be expected, after all there's a large steel cylinder inside that rubs agains the walls, it has to be lubricated at least a bit.

I try to move the head by pulling on the lever inside the housing. I

*barely* manage to move it 1mm. Hmm! Looks stuck. It doesn't slide up and down the shaft, but it does spin. The whirring noise I knew it meant that the motor is spinning fine. The stickyness of the head going up and down the shaft *just might* explain why it wasn't pushed into the fly-wheel before it spun at high speed.

Used a bit of degreaser on the shaft, careful not to soak the damned thing, and after that degreaser, a good old squirt of WD40. Trying to turn and pull it out in the same time reveals a massive success! The whole assembly moves now freely up and down and in the same time, massive amounts of dried gunk loosen up and show on the shaft. It now takes no force to slide the head and turn it in the same time.

"Good-o!" I think, lets put the cylinder back in the coil and assemble the thing back and see if it works. The head still slides, but it requires a bit *more* force because of the spring behind the steel cylinder. Oh, and it also bounces back in its place just like after starting the engine.

Without further adue, I mount the starter back and give it a try. YES! Starts first turn, no noise, no fuss, purrs like a kitten now!

So, *you* can win some days! :) Today it was one of those days! Oh! and I saved $200! :)

I am so smart! S-M-R-T! err.. I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Ino!~

--
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe.  Attack ships on fire
off the shoulder of Orion.  I watched C-beams glitter in the dark

Bogdan Iamandei wrote: || Hi everyone, || || While I would normally say just about everything that "You can't || win!" today it sure was a day when I *did* win. || || Story background follows. About a week ago, starting one morning I || have noticed that as soon as I turn the key in the ignition, the || starter motor would make funny noises. Instead of a loud "CLACK!" || followed by the noise of the engine starting, this time it was just || a "Whirrrr!" || and much later a series of griding noises. Re-attempting to start, || would result in much similar noises and after about 3-4 attempts, it || would finally do a "whir-CLACK!" and start the engine. || || Anyways, initially I suspected the battery, since I've been there || before just under 12 months ago. However, I have noticed that the || lights are as strong as ever, wipers are working full speed and || power and there's nothing wrong otherwise to indicate a premature || death of the battery. || || Comes today, and car would just "whirrr" away, and every now and || again would bounce the starter gear off the fly-wheel. Damn! I || think. It's Sunday, Sweet F. All stores opened, no car services, no || nothing. After || a while I managed to find a few stores that were opened. Auto-Barn || gave me the bird saying that my car - a 99 Camry is too new for them || to carry starter-motors, and that I should try to see a service. || || "Good-o" I think. Try Repco. Succes! Repco has it, I part company || with AUD 200, grab the new starter motor and I'm on my way, thinking || I've done a pretty good deal. On my way home I drop into Super-Cheap || to ask for a quote from them for the part I already bought, just to || see how much they ask for - $270! Hmm, so I've done a good deal, || after all. || || 15 minutes later, I get home and on to change the part. All goes || well, un-mounting the old and re-mounting the new starter motor. || Only that when I try to connect the last electric clip, I notice || that it won't just sit in there. *SHIT* You cannot WIN! || || Taking the starter motor off I have a look at them and see that apart || from that connector (which has a different shape) everything is the || same. Same power, same voltage. Oh, different part serial number, || which I have noticed before installing it, but thought nothing of it. || || Anyways, I take it back along with *my* pooched motor, for them to || compare and give me the right part. Which they don't have, and has to || be ordered in! Bastards! Oh, and Bosch is migrating everyone from the || old model of starter motor to the new model. With *no adapter in the || box*. Arrgh! This calls for a quick change of plans come tomorrow, || in the vain attempt to find the Holy Grail, errr... Holy Starter || Motor by trawling through all the services available around me, and || all the auto-stores. || || Defeated for today, I turn back home, thinking that if nothing else, || I'll just take the damned thing apart and see how it looks inside, || maybe at a later date it will serve me good, knowing what's inside || this model of starter motor. So I start with the coil - you know, || the one that pushes in the spinning gear-head. All looks ok, no || smoke, no dirt || all cool. A bit greasy, but that's to be expected, after all there's || a large steel cylinder inside that rubs agains the walls, it has to || be lubricated at least a bit. || || I try to move the head by pulling on the lever inside the housing. I || *barely* manage to move it 1mm. Hmm! Looks stuck. It doesn't slide up || and down the shaft, but it does spin. The whirring noise I knew it || meant that the motor is spinning fine. The stickyness of the head || going up and down the shaft *just might* explain why it wasn't || pushed into the fly-wheel before it spun at high speed. || || Used a bit of degreaser on the shaft, careful not to soak the damned || thing, and after that degreaser, a good old squirt of WD40. Trying to || turn and pull it out in the same time reveals a massive success! The || whole assembly moves now freely up and down and in the same time, || massive amounts of dried gunk loosen up and show on the shaft. It now || takes no force to slide the head and turn it in the same time. || || "Good-o!" I think, lets put the cylinder back in the coil and || assemble the thing back and see if it works. The head still slides, || but it requires a bit *more* force because of the spring behind the || steel cylinder. Oh, and it also bounces back in its place just like || after starting the engine. || || Without further adue, I mount the starter back and give it a try. || YES! Starts first turn, no noise, no fuss, purrs like a kitten now! || || || So, *you* can win some days! :) Today it was one of those days! || Oh! and I saved $200! :)

Hmm, how many K's on that starter motor? And, uh, how much time did you spend on all of this? I know, it's sort of an enjoyable hobby...finding out how stuff works..and all.

Reply to
freeespeech

I think just under 130,000Km. That's why I thought it was a bit odd for it to cark it on me.

As about the time I spent on it, I think it took me 3 minutes to take it off the engine - just 2 screws, and about 15 minutes to have it cleaned up and figured out what is wrong with it. Oh, and about 5 minutes to have it mounted back! $200 for about 30 minutes of work is not too bad! :).

Ino!~

--
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe.  Attack ships on fire
off the shoulder of Orion.  I watched C-beams glitter in the dark
near the Tannhauser Gate.  All those moments will be lost in time,
like tears in rain.  Time to die.
Reply to
Bogdan Iamandei

Bogdan Iamandei wrote: || On 2004-11-29, freeespeech wrote: ||| [...] ||| Hmm, how many K's on that starter motor? And, uh, how much time ||| did you spend on all of this? I know, it's sort of an enjoyable ||| hobby...finding out how stuff works..and all. || || I think just under 130,000Km. That's why I thought it was a bit odd || for it to cark it on me. || || As about the time I spent on it, I think it took me 3 minutes to || take it off the engine - just 2 screws, and about 15 minutes to have || it cleaned up and figured out what is wrong with it. Oh, and about 5 || minutes to have it mounted back! $200 for about 30 minutes of work || is not too bad! :). || || Ino!~

Does that include ALL the time on the whole project, e.g. travelling to and from various points?

Reply to
freespeech