Camry tire consensus?

Hello All

Checking out the history of posts to these Toyota groups in Google, I don't any consensus on tire recommendations for the Camry - my father needs to change the tires on his 2000 year model. Is this right or IS there a consensus on which tires are best year-round? Or should I just go through the individual recommendations and wing it?

Thanks.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

My recommendations for a decent all season tire would be the Michelin Harmony

. They would be good in snow to an extent. If you want utmost comfort, gowith the Yokohama Avid Touring
or the Michelin X One

Car Guy

There are many "good" tires fopr a 2000 Camry. I had a 2000 V6 Camry and the factory Dunlop SP4000s were worthless in the rain. I wanted to use the Dunlop Sport A2, but they were not available, so I put on a Toyo with good wet and dry road results. The Dunlop Sport A2 have been criticized for short tread life. I can't say anything about the Toyo because my car was totaled by a falling tree shortly after putting on the new tires.

With that said, the "best" tire for your father would depend > My recommendations for a decent all season tire would be the Michelin > Harmony

Reply to
ma_twain

> ). They would be good in snow to an extent. If you want utmostcomfort, go

> uring) or the Michelin X One> >

Car Guy

It's hard to believe that he doesn't subscribe to Consumer Reports, so suggest to him that he visit the library. The November, 2003 tire article may be sufficient or he may need to scan past issues.

I don't know anyone here who uses winter tires as the road crews do an excellent job; however, areas where there are lake effect storms may need them.

snipped-for-privacy@att.net Rochester Minnesota USA

Reply to
Glenn Pooler

It's hard to believe that he doesn't subscribe to Consumer Reports, so suggest to him that he visit the library. The November, 2003 tire article may be sufficient or he may need to scan past issues.

I don't know anyone here who uses winter tires as the road crews do an excellent job; however, areas where there are lake effect storms may need them.

snipped-for-privacy@att.net Rochester Minnesota USA

Reply to
steve

Yes, subscribing to Consumer Reports is an excellent suggestion. But in addition to reading Consumer Reports ratings, I simply was wondering whether there are tires that happen to be especially good on Camrys. In the Ford Explorer group, for example, there is sort of a group consensus on the best tires for that particular vehicle - and we have been through the ringer on tires, believe me :o)

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

I hear the Yokohama Avid Touring or the Michelin X One or Michelin Harmony come out as being good. But as you know, everyone has their preference (performance vs. treadwear vs. wet traction vs. snow traction)

Reply to
Car Guy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ For what it's worth, I replaced the Michelins on my '97 Camry at about 75k miles with Goodyear Weatherhandlers, and the difference was sensational. The car seems to track on the highway as if on tracks, and I didn't even get a wheel alignment when replacing the tires, just balancing. I'm more than satisfied with the Goodyears.

Reply to
Mack Twamley

I have a '98 Camry V6 and am using Yokohama YK420s (purchased at Discount Tire / America's Tire,

inflated to 32 psi and I really love them.

Ride is very very smooth, I can be very agressive in cornering with no squeal and tire is rated for 60k mi. It has dual-channels/grooves to help in rainy situations too.

Discount/America's Tire people have always been good to me. I think YK420 is only carried by them, but I maybe wrong.

And no I don't work for them.

John.

Reply to
John

Reply to
ma_twain

Thanks everyone for the tire recommendations.

My father priced the tires and decided to go with the Yokohama Avids. Though he is in snow country (Williamstown, Mass), he really doesn't plan to drive in the snow.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

no one plans to drive in snow, you just happen to end up driving in snow...

Reply to
Car Guy

Reply to
Car Guy

Ok CarGuy - I'll let you know. As far as the snow, Dad is..... er......well......94! A very young 94. But he'll avoid the snow :o)

In any case, I did talk to him about getting the Michelin snows, but he said: "Huh?" Then I said it louder and he said: "Huh? Nah! Wah! Oh. Ah, come one." So forget that. In a blizzard, I'll go up and drive him around with my Explorer and its Michelin LTX ATs, and we'll have a ball!

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

"Anthony Giorgianni" wrote in news:3dblb.9338$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

The tires are fine in rain and lite snow.. I'm on my second set of avids. Good dry adhesion, good wet stick, so-so tirewear.

I have them slightly oversized 215.60x15. Hope this helps, I would recommend them.

'94 Camry XLE V6

Reply to
Pinhead

Thanks Pin! Nice to hear another good review.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni