"CHECK" Indicator lamp stays on

We have a '95 Camry v-6 LE. Just recently, an indicator lamp comes on full time (its the one on the dash with a picture of an engine with the word "CHECK" under it). Can someone tell me what this is trying to tell me and how do I go about checking it out myself?

Thanks, Jack

[As a side note: the other day, with the key in the ignition and trying to start the car, the switch would not turn, as if jambed. I kept wiggling it while making sure the shifter was in Park. After repeated key insertions and attempts to turn, it finally worked. Thinking that the internal guts were raw, I loaded it up with a spray lock lube and changed keys. It hasn't faulted that way again since ..but on occasion my wife notices the key is hard to remove from the switch. I now wonder if somehow this lubeing(excessive?) I did might now be causing the indicator lamp to come on?]
Reply to
Jack

full

it

hasn't

causing

No, it's not likely the ignition switch. Most likely is that the O2 sensors need replacing, but it could be something else. The only way to know is to take it to a dealer or other repair shop that can read the computer codes.

Reply to
Mark A

Thanks for the suggestions. Ok. I've been reading that I can pull the (self diag) codes from the test terminal under the driver's side dash. I believe when jumpered the readout will be in the form of flashes of the indicator light in the display. If so, where can I get my code chart c/w flash rates in order to narrow down the problem? Jack

Reply to
Jack

  1. not sure how to pull the codes from a '95 Camry, may be OBDII in which case you'll need a reader to pull them, and they will be P codes. My '95 Tercel ,the cheapest car they sell in N.A. had P codes. Otherwise there is a 'Diagnostic' plug under the hood, I don't know which pins to jumper but it will flash the CHECK light to gove you the code.
  2. You may have 'locked up' the steering column. This has happened on Toyotas since they started installing the steering lock in the early 70's. As the car 'relaxes' after parking, pressure is applied on the steering gear. Move the steering whel slightly.

This URL will tell you how to access the codes:

Jumper terminals E1 and T1, turn the ingitioon ON without starting and count the flashes.

This web site also has the P codes as well.

Reply to
hachiroku

Hey, thanks very much for the diag info. I will also check out the locking mechanism in the steering as well. Now that I'm thinking of it, the steering wheel mis-position makes sense. In the meantime I managed to get my grubby hands on a Haynes manual and it makes reference to years '92-'96 with all using the flashing light method (pre OBDII). It also seems the emissions label makes no reference to OBDII as this is an early Canadian car. Jack

Reply to
Jack

Not a problem! Glad to help. That's why I come here! (er, and perhaps to garner a little info myself? ;)

Canadian, eh? I used to go to Toronto a lot, and my '88 Supra is a Canadian model. (or, uh, did you mean an early *Made* in Canada model???)

I got it just before Thanksgiving and it has a Metric Speedo. Interesting. And I can't figure why *anyone* would want to set the Climate Control to

27 degrees!!!

Reply to
hachiroku

Hah. Yep, and the car was probably built in Canada too. You'll get use to using a metric guage as the US will probably go that way eventually.

BTW, the ignition lock problem: seems the ignition lock might be alright and now think it has something to do with the steering lock instead as rotating of the S wheel will not initiate the locking device. That could be the reason why the key is jamming in the cylinder(?) Perhaps there is floating debris causing the lock to jam or such. Are you familiar with repairing (or totally disabling) the steering lock? How hard is it to get at to fix? What about precautions with the air bag mechanism?

As for the code check. I'm still wondering if the trouble lamp is related to the ignition lock problem. Anyway, seems the paperclip/flashing light deal doesn't work on this car so it must be OBD2. Unfortunately, the local shops won't retrieve the code for me unless they get the whole job of troubleshooting my problem. "Clsoed shop" in this small town? One exception is the dealer and I just hate going there as they end up making more trouble than they solve ..with a rediculous price to match ..I feel like taking a shower after I leave there. They want just under $100 to retrieve any codes! I'd rather figure out a way of doing it myself as that's why I'm researching this NG in the first place.

Thanks Jack

Reply to
Jack