Convert ABS to include Traction Control

Re: 1997 US-built Camry 6 cyl with rear disk brakes:

How feasible is it to convert the existing ABS to include traction control? Are the ABS wheel sensors the same as the sensors for traction control? If yes, could the answer be so simple as dropping a different chip into an on-board computer and maybe adding an engine sensor?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Lombardi

control?

Well, you're on the right track! However, a chip will be a *lot*. You probably go to a boneyard (excuse my ignorance; I'm assuming Toyota *did* build these cars with Traction Control???) and get the computer out of a junk. That would be $100 or less. I have seen chips go for as much as $700! Much easier than opening the box and potentially zapping the computer (potintial...zapping...I made a funny...)

Other than that, there shouldn't be any other mods required. I'm sure from the way you posed the question, all TC does is apply the brakes when wheel spin is sensed. However, there may be an additional harness involve somewhere.

Good luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku