Dashpanel lights <CHARGE>, <BRAKE>, and <LIGHTS> Stay Lighted

What might cause the dashpanel lights: CHARGE, BRAKE and LIGHTS all staying on at the same time ?

How should I proceed in troubleshooting/fault isolation ?

Car is a 1991 Camry LE V6. Symptom was notice for first time by radiator repair shop guy.

Reply to
Vince

Measured approximately 11.3 Vdc with an analog voltmeter at the battery terminals and also at the Alternator Positive terminal to chassis ground.

[1] Is there an external voltage regulator ? [2] Where is it located? [3] How is voltage regulator tested?
Reply to
Vince

Check the alternator brushes for excessive wear.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I have been studying the Haynes manual for replacement/repair of an alternator and there does not seem to be any difference from when I replaced an alternator on a '75 Regal. Belt tension and proper torqueing now cause me to be hesitant with the reinstallation job.

This problem surfaced while I was not present; the car was in the hands of radiator repair shop while I was taking my afternoon nap..... The guy also said that the dashpanel lights flickered at first, and then remained lit after a few seconds. So, brushes seem to be the most likely cause of problem.

So, where would a DIY obtain the proper brush material, if I decide to pull the alternator unit ?

TNX.

P.S. Modine radiator, anti-freeze coolant, rad cap, and three clamps: $336.90 total. Car driven only about two miles back to house, so too early to tell about the flush job effort made at the repair shop.

Reply to
Vince

Dealer should have a brush assembly for around $20. Should be able to install without removing the alternator, just unscrew the backing plate.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus