EGR and VSV

'93 Camry stalls after 20 minutes or so of driving . Evidently EGR and VSV are not functioning properly when vehicle gets hot/warmed up. Quote was $650 to replace which i think is steep for 170K miles. Any alternatives?

Reply to
jg427

OUCH! The EGR is a simple diaphragm that can easily be tested. The Vacuum Solenoid Vent does take a powder on rare occasion and was about $50 last time I bought one. The thing is, getting an accurate diagnosis. So ... what are the symptoms that suggest BOTH the VSV (which controls the EGR) and the EGR valve are kaplooey?

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Try cleaning the EGR valve. Not uncommon to get blocked with carbon. Carburetor cleaner should loosen valve. May also have to clean exhaust tube connecting to EGR valve if blocked. Not sure about the six, but if you have the four cylinder, when I replaced the distributor O-ring and removed the distributor I noticed that the normally hidden tube to the EGR valve came into clear view making it accessible for removal and cleaning. Or you could just try cleaning it from the one end where the EGR valve attaches. If the VSV is bad, you'd have to replace it.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I had them replaced last year. My 99 Camry had about 55000 then and I had to shell out close to $700

Reply to
Manoj Nair