Fuel injection cleaning, change spark plug wire, O2 sensor change?

I took my 93 Camry to a shop to get a diagnosis of potential problems that might cause it not to pass the emissions test. It did not show that anything was wrong-"no codes came up" on the machine. However the mechanic suggested that the car should get new sparkplugs and wires, a new Oxygen sensor, and a fuel injection cleaning because the car has 193,500 miles on it. It runs fine--starts right up, doesn't stall/jerk or run-on after I turn it off. I noticed on the last emissions test the CO2 line on low emissions met the standard exactly. I am nervous that it will be over the standard this year. Should I have some or all or none of this work done? Charles39

Reply to
charles39

How old are your components, you will pass without the work but maintenance might get you 2-5 mpg more. Toy wires last, if yours are original then replace them with Toy wires Non Oem might last 25-50% as long, dont forget the rotor, Is the cap attached to new wires. Plugs should be replaced at maybe 70000-90000 if they are platinum. Forget fuel injector cleaning, your gas has cleaner in it, or go but a 6$ can, you did say you run smooth. To improve milage-power and reduce pollution check ignition timing. A bad 02 sensor reduces milage but you said yours tested Ok. Your mech basicly just wants to sell you a bunch of unessecary work on the pollution basis, Milage determines maintenance, read your manual.

Reply to
m Ransley

O2 sensors may go for quite a while yet, especially if the engine is not using significant amounts of oil to coat the sensor with carbon.

If the car is used mainly for town work, as opposed to on the road company rep work, I'd just monitor the fuel economy from time to time to inidcate the sensor's condition.

If those plugs and wires/leads are original, its pushing the envelope a bit to expect them to be as new. Once spark-plug leads start to rise in ohms, after a continuity test with a multi-meter,.the chance of failure increases. Once a lead goes open-circuit, the spark voltage then finds the next lowest path to ground, and that can cause damage to the distributor and/or coil if it breaks thru insulation.

I'd look to replacing the leads with a Toyota set.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

If it isn't broken, why fix it?

Reply to
<HLS

Take it for inspection. If it fails, fix it and get it reinspected.

Reply to
NickySantoro