GF-4 Based Oil vs. GF-3 - What is the difference?

Reply to
Philip

Please elaborate:

*+author%3Aphilip&safe=off&qt_s=Search

GF-4 also has upper limit caps on the phosphorus content as the automakers believe that phosphorus contamination from burning motor oil leads to catalytic convertor failures, and the EPA has recently increased the required emissions systems warranty period to over 100,000 miles.

Phosphorus is part of the common anti-wear additive ZDDP and I suspect that Mobil felt they could not put sufficient ZDDP into their Extended Life Oils for the long drain intervals and also stay under the maximum limits of GF-4.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Oh please!

John

Reply to
John Horner

Huw, you do not have your facts straight on this.

The energy conserving label is a function of meeting certain tests and is not automatic for a given viscosity range. You will find, for example, that most of the "High Mileage Engine" oils such as Valvoline Maxlife are generally not labelled Energy Conserving even in the 5W-30 weight.

As far as the Europeans being so much more environmentally aware, can you explain why all of the 12 cylinder automobiles made in the world today (which get horrible fuel economy) come from English, German and Italian factories?

John

Reply to
John Horner

Phillip, since you have a computer, you should be able to search the web for a free dictionary and find the definition of "wrong." There are multiple meanings of the word and I used one of the accepted meanings:

"the state, position, or fact of being or doing wrong: as a : the state of being mistaken or incorrect"

Mark A

*+author%3Aphilip&safe=off&qt_s=Search>

Reply to
Philip

You turn a blind eye to Ford and Chrysler V10s in trucks (looser emission levels than cars) and Vipers? Fact is, the Europeans and Asians have been more fuel consumption conscious than We, predating WWII. You might also look at who has made small high speed diesels workable and increasingly clean. Wasn't GM !!

Reply to
Philip

I make the distinction in order to limit condemnation to the statement, rather than condemning the man for his statement ... which was not intended to mislead. The word "wrong" is commonly abused in this way in American English. I also know Huw to be MUCH better versed on matters lubrication oils than what I have read thusfar from you. Do make every effort to catch up to Huw. :^)

Reply to
Philip

I did not condemn the man for his statement. But pretty soon I am going to condemn you for ignoring the accepted definition of "wrong" (at least one of the accepted definitions). Given that there are multiple accepted definitions, and given the context of this forum, it was obvious which definition I was using. There is not much relationship between morality and ones knowledge of oil (although there are few slimy people who post here).

I may not be an expert on oil like you city slickers, but I am pretty good in English.

Reply to
Mark A

For export mainly. The vast majority of European cars are less than 2litre with fuel efficient diesel engines taking around 50% of the market in several regions. If you travel in Europe you will know that the price of fuel forces economy to be a high priority notwithstanding the sales of large SUV's. In fact I own several of these and my latest Range Rover travels 30 miles on each Imperial gallon of diesel which is better than I used to get from a Ford Fiesta 1300 thirty years ago and as good as a Golf GTi in the mid Eighties. Most petrol family cars now average 40mpgUK with diesels, even large ones by our standards, such as Ford Mondeo 2litre or GM/Vauxhall Vectra with the new Fiat built diesels, averaging more than 50mpgUK. Cash millionaires may run V12 engined cars if they choose but they are very few in number.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Actually I think GM has built some nice Diesels - in Europe. They are nice enough that Honda is swapping V-6s in the US for Diesels in Europe.

And I am not sure what you mean by "looser" emissions standards for trucks. There are all sors of categories for trucks, but they all have to meet standards. The light-duty truck standards are pretty much the same as for cars. The heavy light-duty truck standards are somewhat looser, but at least the Ford V-10 qualify for LEV certification (see

Other References:

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

ONE author. Results 1 - 10 of 485 for you are wrong group:alt.autos.toyota.* author:philip.

*+author%3Aphilip&safe=off&qt_s=Search> >

Please forgive John Horner ... he's been sittin' in a corner for a long time.

Reply to
Philip

*+author%3Aphilip&safe=off&qt_s=Search>>>

Reply to
Philip

The context was historic ... not currently.

snip

Trucks and SUVs have been NOT been held to emission standards as stringent as passenger cars.

Reply to
Philip

I reviewed a subset of the 485 times "philip" wrote "you are wrong" in alt.autos.toyota.* There appears to be a scattering of both usages, in approximate proportion of 1:9, respectively.

I was kind enough not to point out an earlier vien of hypocrisy by Huw. He seems to have taken a more circumspect approach, as of late. Therefore, it wasn't necessary.

;)

*+author%3Aphilip&safe=off&qt_s=Search> >>>

Typical of Europe. The lucky few royalty and hyper-wealthy live large while the masses struggle under opressive taxes and believe that in so doing they are being morally superior.

Yes Europe has far more diesel vehicles on the road ... because European vehicle emissions standards continue to be looser than US standards as they have been since the 1960s when emissions standards first came on the scene.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Oh stop it. The same thing (Have and Have Nots) exists in EVERY country in the world.

Why do you care, John?

Reply to
Philip