Honda quality vs. Toyota?

First of all, I've never ever driven a Honda, so I cannot speak from any experience.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of say a Honda Accord vs. the Camry?

I've heard my co-workers say something about Hondas needing a "valve job" around every 100,000 miles, but I could be wrong...

Reply to
onehappymadman

Both are good. Honda is an interference engine. If the timing belt breaks you may destroy the engine. Toyota has very few belted engines that are interference type.

Reply to
tomcas

Honda's got a belt, not a chain?

Reply to
onehappymadman

Actually a lot of the new engines are interference. The newer 3MZ-FE (Camry, Solara, Sienna) is interference and blet-driven, as is the 2UZ-FE (Tundra). Everything else right now is a chain. I think. Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply to
qslim

Those were the two vehicles it came down to when my wife and I were test driving for our next car back in the fall of '04. There were four reasons we chose the Camry:

  1. Quieter -- but just barely so
2 Fit -- sitting in the Camry just felt more natural to us
  1. Price -- Toyota had fixed pricing; no dickering required
  2. Salesman -- Arlynn Ness at Toyota of Rochester (MN) is the BEST

The overall quality, drive-ability and feel of the cars were pretty much a dead heat. The Accord had a performance edge until we test drove the Camry SE model with the bigger V6. Maybe next time we'll choose an Accord . . . or a completely different car 'cause we're keeping the Camry at least ten years . . . .

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

I have driven both but older ones and not the latest models. I felt Accord was more sportier with better suspension but a lil bit louder inside the car. Camry on the other hand has very soft suspension but more quiter inside. So better handling in case of Accord. Also Camry is slightly bigger I mean the trunk. I have a 1999 Camry but my next purchase will be Accord or something else unless Camry hybrid is just too good to resist. Also I didnt like the look of camrys ie 2000-2006 models. But the latest 2007 camry looks a lot better. Acoord on the other hand looks much better almost all the models.... Anyways looks are a personal preference. Good luck with the decision because I know it can be a difficult one. Ciao!!!!

Reply to
learnfpga

Yep.

Reply to
Art

A buddy has an old Accord. It has around 250k on it. It probably needs some engine work now.

Reply to
Art

We have both in our family. My son has an '04 Camry SE 2.4 engine. I have an '04 Accord EX with a 2.4 engine. Both engines are chain driven double overhead cam engines. Both cars are absolutley trouble free in 2 and a half years of driving. Performance is very close on these cars, But my son and I both agree my Honda holds a very slight handling edge. But, it is also a little noisier. As far as a Honda needing a valve job at 100,000 miles--- I dont think so. I think it is a matter of preference rather than if one is better than the other. Both are excellent cars and both will last a long time. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Which one is the better people carrier? That is what they were designed for, right?

Reply to
badgolferman

If you want the people carrier to be extra safe, go with the Honda for better handling. If you don't care if you lose control some day but prefer quiet, buy the Toyota.

Reply to
Art

I want to know about comfort and ergonomics, not handling.

Why do you continue to stay in the Toyota newsgroups, Art? Are you a nobody in the Honda forums?

Reply to
badgolferman

Art speaks from experience, he lost control, soiled his pants in his wife's Toyota and she's never let him forget it. The quiet part is when she gets tired of screaming in his ear-hole.

Reply to
davidj92

Lose control in the Toyota? I wonder in what type of vehicle yo mama lost control, 9 months before you were born?

Reply to
Sharx35

Friend of mine bought a new Accord. According to him it was just about a toss up but he thought the Honda had a "sportier" feel, as opposed to the Camry which felt more sedan like.

Reply to
NickySantoro

My wife and I just drove both, and the VW Passat as well. The Accord looked like it was put together well. The I4 was pretty gutless when entering the freeway, however. The suspension was stiffer than the Camry. The stiffness contributed a bit to the noisier sensation in the Accord.

The Camry had a better ride as far as we were concerned. It was quiet and very smooth. We didn't push the I4, but suspect it is little better than the Honda as far as guts. It did not come with the leatherette interior, as did the Honda, and that is something my wife prefers. It will cost a couple of grand to get the leather option.

Both of the cars were of exceptional quality, but to our taste, the Camry was the winner.

The Passat really appealed to me more than either of the above. There were several little items that appealed to us, like the temperature controlled compartment, the locking system with two security levels, as well as the trunk space and locks. And it came with leatherette at a good price. The turbocharged I4 was a freaking giantkiller. Mileage up to the mid 30 mpg range, and screaming performance when you get into the accelerator.

The on-dash MGP meter may not have been accurate but was helpful. The only reason I wouldn't buy the Passat is that it has a reputation of being a bit less dependable and troublefree than the ricers.

A turbocharged Camry ought to be a formidable machine.

Reply to
<HLS

Every one should buy at least one VW before they die so they know how unreliable a car can really be. I kept mine 4 months.

Reply to
Art

New???

Reply to
onehappymadman

I have had two Passats earlier...Both were purchased new. Both were exceptionally good cars and never gave a moment's trouble. However, I have heard from other owners that they have agonized under VW ownership.

Recent reports claim that the Hyundai Azera is a budget 'Lexus'. I haven't considered a Hyundai, probably because of the low reputation that they had.

Has anyone tried out the Azera?

Reply to
<HLS

I heard the Hyundai Sonata is recommended by Consumer Reports.

The later versions, not the ones before say 2002.

Still, the Sonata costs almost as much as a Camry...

Reply to
onehappymadman