99 Camry CE V6 automatic trans

There is absolutely NOTHING in my Camry manual telling one how to properly check the AT fluid level. Other cars I have owned differ greatly in this respect.

I KNOW that the vehicle has to be warmed up, However, should be engine be running when the AT fluid level is checked? If so, in Neutral? in Park? Obviously on level ground. I've had other vehicles, all had differing methods for checking the AT level.

David.

Reply to
Sharx35

Just put it on a level surface with the vehicle running. Gear position doesn't matter.

Reply to
qslim

Thanks. Unbelievable that it wasn't in the 99 Camry manual!!

Reply to
Sharx35

Yeah, they like to scare folks into bringing their cars into me. You should see this MB E320 I was working on today. There weren't any specifications on ANYTHING! Not even in AllData! Everything was "as specified by a MB dealer". Had to call the local dealer just to figure out what oil to put in it. Oh, and there isn't a dipstick. That's a factory service tool.

Reply to
qslim

A local mechanic was telling me about working on an MB recently. He had to buy the CD set for the particular car, which was not cheap. The engine had to be disassembled and shipped to California for machine work. Boring the cylinders alone cost $1500.

Owning something like this is, to me, overrated. The cars are overpriced, over engineered, and can be overly troublesome

Reply to
<HLS

MB has always been overated, quality-wise, but especially in the last 10 years or so.

Reply to
jjnunes

If you're draining old fluid, it helps a bit also to drain the fluid into a pan, then pour this into an old milk jug or so to estimate how much new fluid to put in. Should be about 2 liters or so, give or take.

That would take some of the stress out of measuring the fluid level.

Mike

Reply to
onehappymadman