How to use parking brake?

I have a 2000 Camry. Somewhere I heard we should apply the parking brake whenever we park. Even on a flat ground. Is that true?

Also I heard it matters in what order we park the car but was never sure. Do we first move the stick to the 'park' position, then pull the parking brake, then turn off the engine? Why does does it matter?

Reply to
nick

If you have an automatic transmission and put the car in park, you don't need to apply the parking brake. Some experts will tell you otherwise, but

99% of the population don't use it, and never have a problem. Plus, if your parking break is deployed and your car is towed with the parking break on, it will cause some damage to the rear breaks.

However, you need to use your parking break every once in a while since that is how you rear breaks get adjusted. But you can just deploy the parking brake several times in a row and then release it to adjust the rear breaks. Do this at least once a month.

Reply to
Mark A

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, nick being of bellicose mind posted:

Apply Parking brake first.

For example, let's say you park on an incline. If you place the transmission in PARK and let the weight of the car settle against the parking lock and then.... apply the Parking Brake, you are placing and holding a stress on the Park pawl lock in the transmission. If sufficient, you may have a hard time getting the selector out of PARK the next time you wish to drive the car.

Reply to
Philip®

My 2002 Camry doesn't have automatically adjusted parking brake, it is = manually adjusted by using a screw driver and contracting the adjuster 8 = notches from a fully expended position.

Jack.

Reply to
Jack

Jack.

No. Listen carefully. I am not talking about adjusting the parking brake. I am talking about adjusting the rear breaks (where the parking brake applies breaking pressure). Using the parking brake manually every once in a while will adjust your rear brakes (the ones that get used when apply the brake pedal). If you don't do this periodically, your front brakes will do all the work without the rear brakes being used.

I know you don't understand this, but just do it.

Reply to
Mark A

Reply to
barney

Ho, I am sorry, the rear brakes on my 2002 Camry are disk brakes and = they don't have any mechanical adjustment.

Jack.

Reply to
Jack

In news:oFKIb.72$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net, Mark A being of bellicose mind posted:

mark... what you have posted above is a half truth. There are cities that require the Parking BRAKE being set as a municipal ordinance. San Francisco is but one example that may still have such an ordinance that does not distinguish between manual or automatic transmissions. If you car rolls from it's original parked location and inflicts property damage, you get an extra fine. Parking on flat ground is not an issue, obviously. If your car is towed with the Parking BRAKE applied, you obviously didn't have them applied securely.

Reply to
Philip®

My response was for the situation stated: when parking on flat terrain. Obviously, when parking on a step incline the parking brake should be used.

A car can and will be towed with the parking brake applied.

Reply to
Mark A

In news:qe_Ib.24$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net, Mark A being of bellicose mind posted:

How often have you had your car towed off?

Reply to
Philip®

I think you'll find that the rear (drum) brakes are adjusted "automatically" when you apply the brakes when traveling in reverse. There is a lever that, if the rear brakes are worn enough, will travel far enough to catch an arm on a star wheel that will spin and turn an threaded adjusting shaft to push the brake pads out a fraction further taking up the slack.

It wouldn't be advisable to have this d>My 2002 Camry doesn't have automatically adjusted parking brake, it is

Reply to
John

I was taught to keep your foot on the brake, shift into neutral, apply the parking brake, remove your foot from the brake, then shift into park and turn off the engine.

Reply to
Touch Tone Tommy

I like this sequence you listed below since it relieves transmission.

When parking a car, What holds it in place? Two forces will do that:

1) Friction force applied on rear wheels exerted by parking brake. (call it Fp) 2) Force from transmission box when locked in Parking. (Call it Ft)

Both above forces must equal car slipping (rolling) force (call it Fr). When car is stationary then Fr = Fp + Ft. If you don't use parking brakes (Fp =

0) then you force more load on transmission to force car in stationary (Fr = 0+ Ft.)

The sequence you do below would relief transmission and make Fp > Ft which is better.

/Iceman

Reply to
IceMan

Should be less than or equal to, -- but that sure is a complicated (albeit precise) way of stating it.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus