94 Camry Starting

I have recently encountered a problem with my 1994 Camry LE.

  1. Sometimes (about 1/3 or 1/4 of my starts, I would say), I turn the key, and nothing happens. Usually, I turn the key again, and it starts.

Once it took a lo-o-o-ong time, and many tries, but it started.

Can anyone tell me what is happening, and whether I should take it to a shop to be fixed?

  1. About the same time, the key developed another problem, which is just a small annoyance. Most times, the key will not open all doors, just the one that I am using it in. (It requires two turns to open all doors with the driver's door, but one turn with the passenger door.)

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give. -- Roger

Reply to
Roger4336

Most times, the key will not open all doors, just the one

If you have the original key code, have the dealer make a new key for you. They will cut the original pattern. When I had this done recently, it looked so different from the worn pattern on the key I'd been using, I couldn't believe it was the same key. Then a few months later, I dropped the original key on a concrete floor and the top plastic part broke beyond repair. With some graphite lock lubricant and graphited fluid, the replacement key has been working well since.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I've been having a similar problem with my car. I turn the key and it is totally silent but after a few tries it eventually starts. I've been told this is probably a problem with the starter.

ipo

Reply to
ipo

My 99 Camry was clicking and not starting all the time. It would disengage some times while cranking too. The battery was new and connections clean, so I suspected the starter was bad as it has 190K miles and is started many times per day. It would start if you tried it many times but soon I knew I would get stranded. I researched it on the net and found out that the contacts in the starter solenoid (on the starter), wear and lose good contact. This is a major failure point for the Toyoyta starters. They are replaceable ($20 or so), but given all the miles on mine, I opted for a rebuiit starter from a foregn auto parts store for about $175. The dealer wanted $400 for a new one.

BTW, it is only 2 bolts to remove the starter on my (4 cyl) engine after removing the air cleaner box for access. Very easy to do in 1/2 hour. It solved the problem. I took the old starter apart before turning it in and one copper contact was badly worn by the solenoid plunger - it looked like it was machined in a lathe! So, I am sure that was the whole problem with mine.

Gary

Reply to
Gary