I Need HELP!!! My car died and made weird noises...im confused...

hi, i have a 1998 4-cylinder automatic toyota camry...it has never gave me any problems till the other day...Here is what happend...I was going around a curve before i got to a bridge and my steering wheel felt as if it was locked up or summin and my car died....when i started it back up it made a clicking noise around the top of the engine...i didnt think a whole lot about it so i drove as far as i could to get cell phone service...the check engine light was on and the knocking in the engine got louder and louder and the car seemed like it was losing power or something so i pulled off the side of the road and it died again....it had oil in it and water and it wasnt smoking that much....just a little bit...it seemed like the more i accelerated the more noise it would make and its like it didnt have any power at all...anyway, i was sitting there waiting on one of my friends to come look at it and decided to try to start it again and it would start but only run for like 3 to 8 seconds and then it would die while making an awful noise while running....it seemed like the noise was coming from towards the top of the engine not the bottom...i heard different stories like it was blown up, i heard it could be the timing chain, o heard it could be the rods....i am confused and need some help....what do you think this could be? thanks

Reply to
stalker

...i didnt think a whole

it wasnt smoking that much....just a little bit...it seemed like

decided to try to start it again and it

Find a good mechanic and a tow truck, and get your wallet ready.

You've described the perfect way to kill an engine. When the "steering wheel locked up and the engine died" was the time to diagnose the problem. Not "think(ing) a lot" and driving with the check engine light on while the knocking in the engine got louder and louder, (and) "the more I accelerated the more noise it would make" is a recipe for disaster. For what it's worth, next time, 'cause it sounds like your engine is toast this time, when your engine is giving you signals like something is wrong, don't keep pushing it, unless your destination is critical to the point it is worth destroying the car, coast as far as you can, and park it out of traffic. Generally, with Camrys, if you follow all the maintenance procedures, this will never be required. Hope your current problem is something that can be repaired, but you need someone hands on to diagnose it. Don't believe secondhand newsgroup opinions can help at this point.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus