Is it Transmission failure? 1993 Toyota Camry XLE

Other day when I accerlerated, my car jolted and then lost its power! I heard a thud sound. Even though it lost its power, but I can still drive when I press the gas all the way down, it crawls. It is parked right now. I am not sure whats the issue is? is it transmission? and how much would it cost me! Many thanks.

Reply to
uknirmal

No one could guess that. See if the motor runs disengaged from the drivetrain, see if the road wheels turn freely, see if anything looks broken... like an engine mount or drive shaft.

Reply to
jg

It could be engine problem or transmission problem. The timing belt may have jumped a tooth, for example.

Does the engine seem to rev normally? How does the car move in reverse? Or in different low gears?

If your engine is reving high and the car is barely moving, then it may simply be low fluid level (and thus pressure), or one of the many clutches or brake bands slipping, or problems with the planetary gear sets in severe cases.

The first thing is to check ATF fluid level and condition. Is the fluid burnt? How was the tranny maintained? Ever dropped the pan and cleaned the metal sludge off the bottom and changed the strainer?

Also, when you shifted from N to D or from N to R, how long was the delay before you felt the engagement? No more than about 1-1.5 seconds I hope.

There is little a home mechanic can do about the tranny. An overhaul is about $2500 at the dealer. You may be able to pull an old tranny from a junk yard and install it for much less (like several hundred dollars for removal and installation), but that's crap-shoot at best but some shops reportedly do this to people without telling, with junk yard ID paint marks still on there.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole