Jerking during initial acceleration

My 1993 XLE V6 has began to jerk during acceleration. This only happens when I have to come to a complete stop. If I press the gas pedal gradually, it does fine, but if I press it as I usually have been doing, it jerks. I have run out the gas and used a gas treatment with new gas but nothing has changed. Any ideas?

Reply to
Kimberly via CarKB.com

No way to know without being in it, if it is fuel or electrical. Missfiring can do it, plug wires, coil, cap, plugs. Or fuel related , pump, filter. eyc

Reply to
m Ransley

You need to clean the throttle body. There's a butterfly valve that will stick after time. Haynes manual shows a picture how to clean it with emissions control safe carburetor cleaner, a toothbrush and a rag. You only need to remove the clamp on the air tube to access. Fairly simple. Or . . . you could have a dealer remove, clean and adjust the TB at higher cost..

Reply to
Daniel

happens

nothing has

Can you provide a little more info? Does it happen only from a cold start? All the time?

I had a very similar problem recently on my wife's 93 XLE V6 camry. It turned out to be (mostly) a bad air filter to throttle body air hose that had cracks in it. You can check that on yours by pressing down on the intake hose with your fingers around the creases aggressively to see if you can find any cracks. As well, squeeze the hose to distort it and see if a crack reveals itself. If it does, get yourself some heavey plumbing tape 2" wide, and repair it with that temporarily until you get a new one ($50+ cost for a new one). Her mileage was ~ 150K mi. What happens at least in this case is that the computer is thrown off on the air/fuel mixture at low throttle pressure since the Mass air flow sensor is at the other end of the hose with the air filter. It is very apparent for a cold start since the engine needs a richer fuel mixture and does not get it. Of course, it could also be several other things such as a bad air flow sensor, fuel pressure problems, ECTS, plugs, etc. Another symptom of this that occured on my wife's car at least was that the car had a rough 1st to 2nd shift. After I repaired the hose, that shift roughness was dramatically reduced also.

Cheers,

davemac

Reply to
davemac