Locking lug nut

I almost feel foolish asking what is probably an obvious set of questions. I have a 2002 Camry, but I'm sure this could apply to almost any year.

Each wheel on my car has one key-locked lug nut. These locks were sold by the Toyota dealer at the time of original purchase to the original owner, a family member. I'm sure you've all seen these as they are pretty common, but I've never had one before and have a few questions:

  1. Fortunately, (on my third desperate search), I finally found the "key" for the nut hidden in the trunk well. It looks much like a socket wrench. I'm guessing the key is placed on the locking lug nut and then turned like any other lug nut using the lug wrench that comes with the car on the key and lug together. Is this right, or is the key only used to unlock the lug nut somehow and then removed before turning the lug nut with the wrench? It isn't obvious to me and the little channel of the lock looks awfully fragile.

  1. Is this key and locked lug nut combination as strong as the other lug nuts on the wheel?

  2. Can the locking lug nut be torqued like all the other lug nuts without damaging the key and rendering the whole thing scrap?

  1. On other cars, (never had these off), I have often experienced the need for the extra leverage of a long handle extension or even an impact wrench to "break" a lug nut free, can these keys and locking nuts take that kind of punishment?

  2. Now that I have found the original key, how can I get a spare key (see reason for asking below)?

I ask all these things because I originally did not know the key was "hidden" in the trunk and went to three Toyota dealers here in Southern California, to ask for a replacement key so I could change a flat tire, if needed. Each dealer said basically the same thing, without the original key, all they could do was "cut off" the locking nuts and lugs (each had a different method ranging from a cutting torch to sledgehammer and cold chisels!) and each told me to expect major damage to the wheel assemblies, and each quoted numbers starting at $500 and going up open ended because they didn't know how much damage they would do to each wheel in the process!

Yep, every time I talk to one of these dealers, they just instill great confidence. Yikes!

I want the security, but I don't want to pay $500 each time I need to change a flat tire!

I'll appreciate any info and advice on this.

TIA,

Reply to
Bob Giel

Mine have a "key" number stamped on the side. You use the key thing to unbolt that lug nut. You can buy a new set of the locking lug nuts for $35 - they come with one key but suspect you could buy a set that matched your key number (doubt that there are that many key combos). Most large tire places have an air lug wrench tool that digs into the locking nut and spins it right off. Ruins the locking nut but not a $500 job - if its one wheel they don't charge extra other than to repair the tire. If you are worried over loosing the key - just by 4 replacement lug nuts from dealer at $3-4 each and trash the locking setup. If a tire place uses an air impact wrench with the locking key it will most likely rouin the key or the nut or the extra tightness will cause you to do the same.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Wolfgang is right. Some places ask you just to tip the tech taking a stuck lug nut off. The dealer is way off. It's too bad a place that's supposed to provide reliable service at a "reasonable" price gives people crap and takes them for a ride.

If you have the key information, you can actually order a key lug. Take a look at McGard's secure lug nut web site:

Also see the installation/removal instruction at:

At 80 ft/lbs, the nut should not be difficult to remove. The key should not be used with an impact wrench because it may damage the key pattern. But that's what every shop uses. Mostly they are still OK. You may also find partially jacking up the car (with the wheel still contacting the road) makes it easier to remove the lug nut. I have a $10 24" breaker bar for a variety of things, takes little effort to remove the lug nut.

To avoid warping the rotor, use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts in a star pattern, in 3 stages in increasing torque. Harbor Freight has them on sale periodically for about $12.

Bob Giel wrote:

Reply to
johngdole