Dodge Ram 3500 Free wheel front hubs

G'day everyone,

I'm contemplating buying a Dodge Ram 3500 with the Cummins Diesel.

Any feedback - good or bad appreciated.

Also can I buy Free Wheel hubs for the front axle on this vehicle.

If so who has the reputation for the best quality.

Thanks

Nifty

(For anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about...these go on the end of the drive axle and allow the front wheels to turn without turning the transmission. Naturally when you use 4WD you have to get out and manually lock the hubs).

Reply to
Neville MADDEN

Good.

They used to come equipped that way. Way back.

I once saw a Toyota FJ40 with locking hubs installed on the rear too.

Reply to
Bulkhead

I believe there is at least one company selling free wheeling hubs, but I don't know the cost.

Reply to
PeterD

If you go over to Dieseltruckresource.com you will find loads of info with some pretty good info on free wheeling hubs. Check these out;

or
or
or
or

FMB

"FMB" wrote in news:wJRbt.146068$Zt5.80221 @newsfe15.iad:

Good morning,

Thanks for the excellent information and help. From what you have told me I immediately found a supplier in my locality. I think I'll go with the Dynatrac as they seem to be all US manufacture.

I have yet to find Chinese bearings that can be relied on and they usually fail, without warning, at the worst possible time.

Thanks again

Nifty

Reply to
Neville MADDEN

FWIW, here's a for sale ad from a Dodge owner and mechanic:

2 used 2500 4x4 front hub assemblies

Took these off my 2006 2500 4x4 at 27K to install a DynaTech locking hub kit. (waste of money BTW) Includes the mounting bolts and wheel studs, no lug nuts. Asking $35/each or best offer plus shipping.

(waste of m> G'day everyone,

Reply to
BigIronRam

Gee, I'd buy them... I have a feeling I'm going to trash my hubs getting them out of the steering knuckles (yea, I had to cut the ball joints to get the whole thing apart, and am now fighting both the hubs and knuckles, and ball joints trying to get this stuff apart. At 70K miles on the ball joints (new) and 30K miles on the hubs (replaced at about

35K miles).

I'm beginning to think my Dodge sucks!

And I'm thinking I'm going to have to drill out the ball joints to get them out, too. Not sure how I'm going to separate the hubs from the knuckles either.

Reply to
PeterD

Here's a link to the ad, scroll down

BigIronRam