Low Idle on starting

I've recently been having a problem with my car idling VERY low upon starting it; this normally happens once I've already run it once or twice during the day (it doesn't do it first thing in the AM when I start it). I have to put my foot on the gas and run it up for a few minutes so the engine warms up. Once it's warm, there's no problems.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what this might be? I just found out that my front calipers need to be replaced, which is gonna cost me $500 or more, and I reaaaally hope this idling problem is a cheap thing to fix!! :(

Reply to
corrinebean

Oh yeah...I have a '98 Camry, 4 cyl

Reply to
corrinebean

Just curious why you think the front calipers need replacing?

Reply to
ROBMURR

Get a second opinon before you spend that money. Califpers usually do not require replacement.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Even if they do, rebuilt ones are about $45-65 from AutoZone, CarQuest, etc.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Corrinebean, Have the code read with the scan tool. Places like Autozone say they will do it free. I had a similar problem on a 91 4 cly Camry, it was the temperature sensor. It reports engine temp to the computer and the computer adjusts idle. My was open. I got a replacement at the local auto parts store for $50.

-- Tony Marsillo Nutmeg Repair

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

I realize brake calipers are a pretty basic, low tech item, but be careful about substituting parts on the Camry - before long, you'll be degrading longevity and performance.Stay away from starters, alternators, ignition components etc.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

You probably need to clean the IAC. Search this group using groups.google.com and put in "IAC" and read the posts. Basically clean the small square that's located on the throttle body.

Reply to
John