Removing interior door panel?

I need to remove my driver's side interior door panel to replace my broken exterior door handle. I've removed the screws in the arm rest assuming it would loosen the arm rest which would then hang free. It won't budge. Also, how do I remove the plastic "cup" the interior door handle sits in? I believe in the well behind it is a screw holding the door panel. Anyone ever remove this interior panel successfully? I'd greatly appreciate some advice. Thanks

Reply to
Joe Viola

Sorry. It's a 93 Camry interior door panel.

Reply to
Joe Viola

Should be a screw in where the lock is, and another where the 'cup' is, right down at the bottom. Also, 4 large screws in the door handle itself. Then, pull GENTLY from the bottom to pull the plastic retainers. That should do it!

Reply to
HachiRoku

How do I remove the plastic (I call it a cup) piece that fits into the depression the lock and door release sit in? I've tried prying it out but something is holding it in. Also, I've removed the two scews that secure the arm rest but I can't pry that loose either. In other cars when you've removed all the screws you can find the interior panel pushes up and the top edge, where it meets the window, comes loose releasing the whole interior upholstered panel. I'm hoping the 93 Camry is the same.

Reply to
Joe Viola

Unlock the door and pull the opening handle. You should see a screw behind everything. You have to hold the handle open to unscrew it.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Joe,

I just went through this with a 94 Camry. I found a site that explains it pretty good...you have to press down with a screwdriver between the handle/lock and the "cup"... Check out the photo and info here :

Like the woman who wrote the article, I cracked the cup trim, too, but it's not noticible !

HachiRoku, I got the power mirror replaced...new one is working fine !

Dean...

Reply to
D Larsen

LOL! Great! Glad to be of assistance! I'm not a mechanic, my cars are my hobby, and I own (or have owned) a "Maru" full of Toyotas;

and have done about everything to a Toyota you can do in the backyard with a 10mm wrench, a screwdriver, and a pair of pliers! ;)

Reply to
HachiRoku

how do I remove the plastic "cup" the interior door

If the trim is cracking, there may be a better method. Haven't had to do this, but did check the FSM (factory service manual). There are three hidden locating points for the interior door handle trim. The front point is a hook shape which means when the other two points are loose, that cup is removed by sliding to the rear. At the door handle, there is the handle itself, and the short locking button/ lever. One contact point for the trim is immediately above the locking button, the other is directly below the locking button. These notches in the trim piece engage the door panel cover. So you would pry with a taped screwdriver blade at those locations. FSM says remove the door latch trim piece first, before loosening any other fasteners. If you know to focus at those two points, hopefully , that helps. You'll need to move the door panel in relation to the trim piece just enough to free the locating tab/ notch.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Good info, Daniel ! Once I got the cup out, I didn't pay too much attention to the anchor points, but I do recall the "front" of the cup had a hook that holds it in...

Dean...

Reply to
D Larsen