My car stops after ignition

Hi, Today, after I start my camry(90', 110,000 miles, automatic, 4 cyl.), I hear the sound of the motor was rough, then dead. There are three times totally today. I have to press gas pedal a little to avoid the engine dead. There is no problems in several other times engine start. When started, there is no problems I can feel. What is the cause? It would be the dirty throttle?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Jeff

If your engine will not idle without you pressing the throttle pedal, you really need to start checking a fairly long list of things.

If the car has not been regularly serviced, then the easy items with the help of a Haynes w/shop manual (around $30) *for example* would be:

-are there any computer codes indicating a fault in the engine management of peripherals

-airfilter, is it dirty

-ignition, is it timed correctly

-IAC , is there a buildup of crud in the throttle body. if so carefully clean with carby cleaner and a soft toothbrush etc.

-ignition leads, are they original, if so, replacing them would be a good idea

- plugs, are they worn out

- is the inlet manifold loose or any vacuum hoses split or off their correct points

- have any leads fallen off sensors around the engine including 02 sensor

- has the cam timing slipped due worn drive belt

Use Google to look for posts to this group (alt.autos.toyota.camry) which deal with poor engine idling.

stuff like that. If its all beyond you, get it checked by a competant mechanic.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James