1994 Camry: Throttle Body Cleaning - proactive or reactive procedure?

hello-

i have a 1994 camry with 150k miles on it.

took it in for major service today, the dealer recommended a throttle body cleaning... to flush out the carbon build up.

i've never had this done, or even heard about it (i'm the original owner). currently, the camry runs great: no issues with acceleration, idle, or gas pedal sticking.

so my questions are:

should i be proactive and get it done as preventative maintenance to avoid/prevent future issues? (ie: if i don't get it done, will i poentially create a "domino effect" of bigger/costlier repairs? dealer also warns that a dirty throttle it is a *major* safety hazard...)

or

should i just wait and only get this done if i start experiencing problems with my idle or gas pedal. what signs should i be looking for would indicate that there is too much carbon build up?

thanks a bunch! melanie

Reply to
camry94

throttle body cleaning... to flush out the carbon build up.

owner). currently, the camry runs great: no issues with acceleration, idle, or gas pedal sticking.

You're a woman and are viewed as an easier 'hit.' Having said that, the throttle body cleaning IS a good preventative service against inconsistant engine idle speed and/or excessively low idle speed when the engine is cold. The throttle body MUST be removed from the engine for a thorough cleaning job ... none of this aerosol spray short cut stuff with the engine running.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

cleaning... to flush out the carbon build up.

currently, the camry runs great: no issues with acceleration, idle, or gas pedal sticking.

avoid/prevent future issues? (ie: if i don't get it done, will i poentially create a "domino effect" of bigger/costlier repairs? dealer also warns that a dirty throttle it is a *major* safety hazard...)

my idle or gas pedal. what signs should i be looking for would indicate that there is too much carbon build up?

Dealer seems to be pumping sunshine. Personally, I'd wait. If and when you have a problem you will likely notice a high or irregular idle and/ or sticky throttle. It comes on slowly and will not leave you stranded. My experience with this is with my '93 Eldo and the 4.9 engine seems to be noted for this. I check that one every year and clean it about every other, else I get sticking. I've never had to do anything with the TB on my wife's '93 Camry. YMMV DFB

Reply to
D F Bonnett