On Topic? Cars, anyway: 55 MPH speed limit...

BULL!!!! There is an implied YIELD at the end of the ramp, some states DO put yield signs there. The person on the ramp needs to slow or stop! Even if the person on the highway is being a d*****ad and won't pull over with no other traffic on the road (yes, people are ignorant.)

Highway traffic NEVER EVER YIELDS to ramp traffic!!!

If people where you are drive like that, please remind me to bypass your state!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'll have to check this...

Reply to
Hachiroku

According to the Mass Driver's Handbook, he's correct. The right lane is for merging and exiting traffic, the middle lane is for 'through' traffic at a moderate speed, and the left lane is for speed demons and emergency vehicles.

Are there an inordinate amount of highway accidents where you live?

Reply to
Hachiroku

The handbook contradicts the motor vehicle code.

21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. (b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section. (c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

And how long does it take you to go 60-40?

What's so special about the tC and why do you keep recommending it? What does that have to do with this discussion?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

"If people where you are drive like that, please remind me to bypass your state!"

Better cut Northern California from your drive as people here seem fairly courteous and almost always allow people to get on the freeway. I guess there must be lots of younger/older/clueless drivers here but almost everyone is willing to give them a break.

So, sorry you won't be headed this way; it's beautiful country.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

search on Scion tC and then read reviews sorted byHelpfulness, high to low, 2nd page:

Inspires Confidence, Rewards Experience, April 30, 2008 By hachiroku from The Wilds of Western MAss Value: 5 out of 5 5 out of 5 Reliability: 5 out of 5 5 out of 5 Quality: 4 out of 5 4 out of 5 Performance: 4 out of 5 4 out of 5 Styling: 5 out of 5 5 out of 5 Comfort: 4 out of 5 4 out of 5

"This car drives like it's on rails! I have been a Toyota owner since my first car in 1974, a brand new '74 Corolla. Pretty good for a HS kid, but they were more affordable then. I have since owned a '78 Corolla, an '80 Corolla SR5 and an '85 Corolla GTS, which I still have. This car is very reminiscent of the GTS in it's size and handling, the only real difference is the tC is FWD. It is also a bit taller than the GTS, but doesn't really feel it.

I also currently own an 88 Supra N/A, and R&T tested both cars when they were new. The Supra was 7.9 to 60 MPH, the tC 7.8. Overall the car is well made, handles well and is a blast to drive. This car inspires confidence and rewards experience.

_____________________________________

There is more to this review, but this pretty much sums it up. The car is faster to 60 than a 6-cylinder twin cam Supra. You can power your way out of a situation, and thanks to the excellent brakes, you can also brake your way out as well.

It's relevance to this discussion (which I started, BTW) is that if I'm the one coming up the ramp, I can choose whether to speed up and get in front of traffic, or slow down and get behind traffic, depending upon conditions.

My original beef was that on two merges on I-91 in Northampton, MA most people coming up them seem to think they have the right of way, and I have almost been clobbered numerous times since I had traffic passing me (or right along side me) on the left and have had nowhere to go. Usually I slow down, provided there isn't someone riding my ass.

In the other situation, where I'm coming up the ramp, I can easily match traffic speed by the end of the ramp and blend in like you're supposed to, instead of bullying your way in like an ass.

People wonder why their insurance is so high...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Wouldn't it be better to get the clueless drivers off the road instead of having to "give them a break?"

sheesh...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

OK, but even the tC has better brakes than engine, so the advice to come down the ramp hot and brake if required to fit a gap still applies. And there's lots of decent handling cars out there.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I guess not. Jeff made it sound like you're supposed to let a merger on the highway no matter what.

I slow down when possible, but when there's traffic on your left and an 18 wheeler behind me wanting to get his on-time bonus, I'm not hitting the brakes. As I said, there is an implied YIELD at the top of the ramp, and drivers on the ramp are supposed to slow down if traffic conditions require, NOT the other way around!

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL! One of my favorite sayings is, "THAT'S WHY WE HAVE BUSES!!!"

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL! I'd still rather power myself in front of the traffic, if I can.

And, I usually can...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Self preservation should tell one to yield to traffic traveling faster. In Pennsylvania it is not legal to travel in the left lane on a four lane highway, except when overtaking slower traffic. All traffic, merging into other traffic must YIELD, to the point of stopping if necessary, before entering the flow of traffic. If one moves into the left lane to allow a vehicle to merge, as someone suggested, he can be sited for driving in the left lane. Anyone entering the flow of traffic should do so only after matching the speed of the traffic in the lane they are entering.

The problem we have in this country is that people that do not know how to drive are teaching others how to drive!

My guess would be eight out to ten drivers do not know where to positi>

Reply to
Mike hunt

This isn't real smart around here, since once you get above Holyoke, all there is is two lanes all the way to Canada...

Reply to
Hachiroku

And you should *NEVER* stop in a merge lane.

The whole point of the merge lane is to get up to the same speed as the traffic you are merging into, then sliding into the space between two cars.

Reply to
Calab

Driver handbooks have lots of nonsense in them.

That's the kind of nonsense that somehow makes it into these manuals, however the actual law is often another story entirely, and CA is a keep right except to pass state as I recall. The actual vehicle code trumps the driver's manual.

Reply to
Brent P

I think my current consideration for a new car are much faster. BMW 335i, BMW135i, Ford GT500 Mustang, maybe a vette. That is if I can ever get the stomach to go car shopping.

Reply to
Brent P

Driver's handbooks are filled with nonsense. The vehicle code says what I posted.

Just crushing congestion, chaos, and collisions from morons scattering themselves across the lanes willy-nilly. Keep right except to pass as I outlined is the correct, legal, easiest, calmest, and safest way to drive on a limited access highway. If you don't believe me, take a trip to Germany and drive the autobahn. I really need to go there again.

Reply to
Brent P

Can I get a complimentary Porsche 930?!?!?

Reply to
Hachiroku

"Wouldn't it be better to get the clueless drivers off the road instead of having to "give them a break?"

I don't think so Nate; at least not here. Most of Northern California is in, or near, rural areas. In these areas rapid growth has over- taken the country road systems and many older people are some- what hesitant drivers. I don't see anything wrong with giving them, or any other hesitant driver, a break. You may feel differently.

On the other hand, in or around any urban area (SanFrancisco, LA, Sacramento, etc.) it's more like "Every man for himself", which many are more accustomed to, and you may prefer; I personally prefer the former.

dennis in nca (ex-Chicago "Checker" taxi driver)

Reply to
rigger