Gas mileage - hybrids

Excerpts from

According to a study by Consumer Reports that tested the mileage of vehicles in real world conditions, hybrids had some of the biggest disparities, with fuel economy averaging 19 mpg below the EPA city estimate. The EPA tests assume drivers accelerate slowly, leave the air conditioning off, and average a speed of 20 mph in the city.

The groundswell of complaints is spurring the EPA to act. The agency says that by the end of this year it will propose changes to the methods used in calculating fuel economy ratings for vehicles. The EPA said the new rules will more accurately reflect how people actually drive and will consider the impact of air conditioning, aggressive driving and traffic congestion on fuel economy.

Reply to
Steve

I think the worst parameters of the test is the highway, which has an average speed of 48 mph and a top speed of 60 mph. I don't know too many people who's *minimum* highway speed is as low as 60 mph.

Reply to
Bucky

That's my family's experience too, Steve. On trips along a mix of turnpikes and country roads our '05 Prius is giving us 50 mpg, exactly as Toyota claims. In our suburban setting, however, we're seeing the mid 40's, not the claimed 60. I'm not disappointed. I've never seen a car that got better mileage around town, so from the outset I dismissed the 60 figure as implausible. I'd have been startled to find it correct.

Of course, "how people actually drive" is more a comment on drivers' disinterest in conservation than a standard for fuel efficiency. Just about any driver could improve mpg with a few changes in behavior.

The Prius is so brilliantly designed that it would still be a great car even if it weren't thrifty. For us the higher efficiency was a nice plus. When our Avalon retires, we'll become a two-Prius family.

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

Then might I suggest you get some professional truck driver friends who drive company trucks for a LARGE carrier. 62 mph is the typical governed vehicle speed for such fleets and of course, traversing mountainous regions makes 48 mph a HIGH speed.

Reply to
Philip

Simply put, you don't know what you are talking about Philip. Have you ever driven on an interstate west of the Mississippi? Why would they limit the trucks to 62 when 75 is the limit in many states?

Reply to
--Larry

Because trucks take longer to stop, and they are trying to level the playing field.

See

for limitsnationwide.

Reply to
Bob Ward

And the governed speed of a large truck relates to the EPA mileage tests for a hybrid (or other passenger car) in what way?

Reply to
Andy Hill

"Simply stated", I'm a retired line driver. Driven most of the contiguous

48 for 12 yrs. YOU are the one with your ass out in the wind.

Every truck fleet of size (excess of 1000 tractors) has their have their trucks maximum speed governed in the low 60's. The fuel consumption increase as you pass 60 mph is ernomous when you have a sizeable fleet. Fuel costs are tied ... if not higher than the company's payroll costs. Secondly, the severity of accidents is less with lower speeds. Since the larger companies are all self insured, they're really really conscious of the cost/benefits of maximum speed.

Finally, AZ, NV, CO, NM, WY, NB, and OK are the only states I recall permitting semis to travel at 75 mph.

Reply to
Philip

Across europe, 56mph is the legally governed speed (or metric equivalent) on trucks. Even when you include the 70mph motorway speed in the UK, and the unlimited stretches in Germany.

On most other speedlimits, although not mechanically governed, the truck speed limit is lower than that for a car (except in 30 and 40 limits).

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Obviously you haven't driven in Texas. I've often driven at 65 to 70 mph and they are passing me up.

Reply to
Rob

Obviously Phillip hasn't driven near Chicago recently. I've seen truck-tractor-trailer combos going 75-80. About the only time anyone slows down to near the speed limit anymore is when someone spots Sergeant Buzzkill of the state police trying to fill up his quota. In Chicago you have two kinds of drivers: The quick and the dead. That's been true for many years now.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

I've driven all over TX you self absorbed geek.

What partS of my posting did you not understand.

My guess the fleet size I mentioned is the part you missed. TX does not permit 75 mph travel speeds. That owner/operators of tractor/trailers choose to test the local smokies by going that fast is an entirely different discussion.

Reply to
Philip

See my response to Rob.

Reply to
Philip

Yeah right.

Wrong.

Testing the smokies ... where do you dream these things up; from the

70's show or are you tripin ?

I don't know what you're smoking but you better get your head outa your ass even if it's your comfort zone.

Reply to
Rob

snipped the rest of your pout.

There are no posted 75 mph signs for semi truck speed in TX.

Take a look:

70 during the day, which is reduced to 65 at night.
Reply to
Philip

I saw your response to Rob, that's why I posted. I thought your post perfectly ridicoulous. I've been driving in the Chicago area for 15 years now and it's only getting worse. I passed one of your '62 mph' semis on the way home tonight. I had to get up to 80 to pass him, he was going at least

  1. . . . Even the UPS semis are going at least 70 here most of the time.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

The legal limit for trucks is 70 - but that doesn't mean that there aren't quite a few drivers exceeding the legal limit much of the time.

Reply to
Bob Ward

OK, what part of SPEEDING don't you believe? I've seen the tollways get so fast, if you weren't doing at least 80, you'd better pull off the road. . . The left lane sometimes hits 90! Chicago is the home of the quick and the dead. Just because the speed limit is posted 55 doesn't mean anyone obeys it. Especially in Chicago. 40 in 30's, 80 on the tollways is not that uncommon, even for trucks. If you're trying to do 55 on a tollway, you better be in the far right lane and hope no one rear-ends you. The only time the traffic actually slows down to the speed limit is when there's a jam. . .

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Obviously the laws of aerodynamics have been repealed near Chicago. Phillip pointed out that the larger carriers put a mechanical governer on their company trucks, for both safety and fuel economy. It's easy for you to spout your "evidence" without feeling the need to back it up.

Reply to
Bob Ward