Original Timing Belt at 117K miles

My girlfriend owns a 1992 (or maybe 91) Camry. She is told that it still has the original timing belt and that typically they are changed at around

90K miles.

She is concerned about the cost of the belt replacement, which is around here in Northeastern, NJ. Should she go ahead and bite the bullet and have the belt changed immediately or is there a way to tell if it's on the verge of failing simply by opening up the hood and examining the condition?

If her timing belt fails, will the failure damage the engine on a 91 or 92 Camry?

Is changing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt necessary, or waste of money?

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
jay

oops, meant to mention that she got a quote of around $475 for the replacement of the Timing Belt and Water Pump. This is in northeastern NJ, in the NY metro area.

J.

Reply to
jay

I seem to remember that the earlier Camrys had a 60K belt change interval.

In any case she is way overdue. Saving the money isn't going to seem too important when the car breaks down some night in a not-so-nice area of Jersey.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

4 cyl or V6? Our 4 cylinder broke, we towed it a shop, they replaced the belt and we were back on the road in about an hour.

But, it always seems to happen at the most inconvenient time.

Not sure about the V6.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Wow, it's expensive. Did cost me less than that in Canadian dollars 2 years ago on my 93 Camry. But, anyway, $475 to replace belt/pump is cheaper than a new engine.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

The engine is a "non-interference" design, which means that if the belt breaks, the pistons will not hit the valves. Still, it should now be changed.

You cannot easily determine its condition by a quick inspection as it is behind a plastic cover. Old belts will be stretched, perhaps cracked in places, and "hairy" looking on the edges.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Yota is always running specials for $199 for the timing belt --- let the water pump be if they say it isn't leaking or turning rough.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Get a coupon if you want to change it at the dealer. The tech will make a call on the water pump, but you are at 117K miles you should change out the pump, the oil seals and pulleys.

If you have the mechanical skills belts and pump are about $100 online. Seals and pulleys add about another $60.

Reply to
johngdole

replace the waterpump and there are several oil seals there that should be changed out as well. Your overdue for a belt.

Reply to
Rob