Timing belt or need better gas??

90 Maxinma, auto trans. Running rough in town, at stops; slow to accelerate after red light (ie the gas pedal is depressed further than normal to get it going). On the highway, it ran ok.

Took it in, they ran some diagnostics and this is the report. "Fuel pump scopes poorly, but fuel pressure and flow are still good. Timing had to be set at the distributor, beyond max advance to get it to run better. Scoped ignition shows poor - fire line all cylinders lean. Checked air flow meter

- out of range. The tune up parts are all good. The blets will be due soon. Recommend replacing the Timing Belt."

Estiamted cost - $900 to replace Timing belt, other belts and airflow meter.

Of course I was hoping for a simpler answer. But given what was written - do you think we have other stones to turn over, or should I just bite the bullet and get the repair done?

Reply to
judyg

The timing belt is what it is, and should be replaced if it's older than 60-100k. (Dealers love the 60k mark, but in reality 100k is an acceptable life. But if it breaks - the engine is destroyed - so justify it how you wish). When they say the belts will be due 'soon', then I would find out how soon and schedule a time in several months to get it done. It costs enough that I personally would wait until it's actually due if it looks ok. The airflow sensor fix is very easy. You can find it between the air filter and the engine. You'll probably pay a big sticker to get it over the dealer's counter. I suggest looking on eBay or a junkyard to get another one and try that first for a fraction of the cost. The fact they are so easy to swap sort of makes silly to pay a dealer for it unless you would prefer to shell the $$ once and forget about it. The only trick is they adjusted the timing, and if that was to cover for the faulty airflow sensor, then it will need corrected when the good one is installed. Fortunately many DIY mechanics and any cheap auto repair shop is qualified to do that.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I would find another shop to take a second look at your Maxima if the timing belt was really damaged you would be walking already. I think they are just trying to get a belt job when they have no idea what is really the problem.

Reply to
bonedrypowder

The shop said "The belts will be due soon. Recommend replacing the Timing Belt." That doesn't imply it's damaged at all, only that it's getting close to its rated service life. Depending on how close, and how often this customer comes to the dealer for service, it's far from an unreasonable recommendation. However, if they aren't clear exactly when the timing belt is 'due', IMO it could be considered padding the bill.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Thanks for the information. The shop has a good reputation, but I'm not sure they really really know what's wrong. They said that the timing @ distributor was really bad - did I have work done lately (no, just what they've done over the last year). How long ago was the timing belt changed

- well, that's about 80k.

So from that I think they might think that it is their responsibility to tell me I should get it changed (being in between 60-100k). But, I wonder if the air flow meter really needs to be changed too, or if the timing is all taken care of that would solve the air flow meter?

Reply to
judyg

The air flow meter either works, or doesn't. No in-between. Also, timing blet and air flow meter issues are un-related.

CD

Reply to
Codifus