Prestone (Dex-Cool) Long-Life Antifreeze Troubles?

I just had my 1994 4-cylinder Camry's cooling system flushed and refilled with Prestone Long-Life (Dex-Cool) and distilled water. My mechanic
referred to it as "Dex-Cool," and being curious, I did a Google search on that name. I found anecdotal evidence both for and against it; see, for example, <http://www.thecomplaintstation.com/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi/Forum/Subtopic/TopicID 35/SubtopicID020765/firstrecord=0/finalrecord/>.
I also found that there's a class action lawsuit against GM based on the alleged troubles caused by Dex-Cool; see <http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_action/dexcool2.html .
I wanted to use this antifreeze because of the extremely long life claimed for it--150,000 miles or five years--and because I trust the Prestone brand name. If you use this antifreeze in your Camry, what have been your experiences with it? TIA.
(BTW, I understand that Dex-Cool was not a Prestone invention, but I think Texaco was the first to market it, and subsequently GM adopted it (in 1996) for their cars.)
Regards,
Mike
I used Prestone products for years in all my american cars..Had nice rusty radiators, water pumps failed, radiators leaked with it. I dont trust them at all.
The red Toyota coolant still needs to be changed at I think 30-40 thousand mile intervals. Thats what I have done with mine. Radiator still looks great inside, never any rust or scale in 2 cars with a total of 334,000 miles.
I have no experience with that Dexcool stuff. If its causing problems in vehicles designed for it, I wonder what it does to those that are not designed for it!
On 14 Aug 2004 01:21:38 GMT, ROBMURR ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ROBMURR)) wrote (in

Sorry to hear about your problems with Prestone. I used Prestone's green-colored antifreeze before in my Camry with no problems for over 100,000 miles, so that's why I can say I trust it.
Regards,
Mike
Definitely stay with Toyota genuine coolant (the red one). I mixed with greenish coolant by mistake. It damaged my water pump a year later, and it had to be replaced.

brand
Works for me. 97 XLE. 1+ years and everything still looks fine.
--
Four boxes protect our freedom: the soap box, the
ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
I *couldn't* believe my eyes when I saw Michael J. Rosenborg wrote:

<http://www.thecomplaintstation.com/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi/Forum/Subtopic/TopicID 35/SubtopicID020765/firstrecord=0/finalrecord/>.
UGH! Class action lawsuits!
Great way for a lawyer to make money. You might get enough out of it to cover a gallon of anti-freeze, the three lawyers will walk away with about $10M each...