radiator fluid

I just changed my front radiator hoses (upper, lower, and some bypass hose that also ties into the upper hose) on my '96 camry (138k miles). The lower radiator hose was a real challenge to get clamped back on, but I finally got it.

I was hoping to also do the heater core hoses, but I just didn't have enough time - plus, I'd have to remove the air intake hose, etc.

Since the car needed a coolant change anyway, and since I was just planning on waiting until I get time to do the rear hoses, I filled up with Prestone antifreeze - the type that says it's compatible with any type of antifreeze.

Now, I know that just about everyone here advocates using the Toyota Red, and yes I have a jug of it waiting for when I drain and refill to do the rear heater core hoses.

Now, I'm curious. Exactly how dangerous is it to use Prestone coolant? The ingredients made no mention of silicates (which I've heard damage the water pump seals).

Basically, I'm wondering if I should hurry up and re-do the coolant ASAP to flush out the Prestone, or whether I can safely wait until next year (and enjoy the green Prestone currently in the radiator).

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

whether I can safely wait until next

============================ Adverse effects appear over a period of time but are not easily reversed. Depends on how you care for your car. I ran Prestone green in my Toyota truck for years with water from the garden hose - and it is a 1977 truck which still runs fine. However, since I've owned it I've been through three water pumps and as many radiators and there is a calcified grunge around the bimetallic choke coil that I don't know how to correct. Last time I changed the water pump I saw a white crusty residue growing on the tops of the radiator tubes beginning to cover the openings. Now on the Camry, which has always had Toyota coolant and distilled water the cooling system is still like new. Probably shouldn't have listened to the nice guy at the radiator shop. He told me with the small amount of water distilled is not necessary. Plus the truck has always run hot. It's an old truck and when I asked him how to fix it, he answered "buy a newer truck." When I used to drive long distances in summer, going up hills with the air conditioning on, I would have to reduce speed to keep the temperature gauge from climbing too high. With the Camry the gauge never moves off just below mid point regardless of driving conditions. Last time I changed the truck's water pump I switched to Toyota coolant and distilled water plus a new thermostat. Now for the first time the gauge reads right at mid point. This was also the first time I used a Toyota water pump. Trying to get all the old stuff out I drained and refilled three times after changing the water pump and thermostat. It's not like you're going to calcify the coolant passages and begin overheating right away, it will take some time to degrade - but the process will begin.

Reply to
Daniel

Prestone has been around for many years, at least 40 that I know of. I find it hard to believe that it is damaging seals in millions of cars.

Can you cite a reference from Toyota (web, manual, ...) that says Prestone is harmful? What about the Prestone web site -- is there anything warning about it being incompatible with Toyotas?

Reply to
Stubby

Just the propaganda from Toyota, and from reading this newsgroup.

"Genuine Toyota Super Long-Life Antifreeze/Coolant is the same high quality, factory-fill product found in new Toyotas. You'll know it by its distinctive pink color. It provides maximum protection and durability without the use of harmful silicates. And because it's compatible with non-metallic materials, it helps extend the life of water-pump seals. Don't trust your engine to anything less than the best: Genuine Toyota Super Long-Life Antifreeze/Coolant."

So, is Prestone low-silicate, or silicate-free? No silicon of any type appears in the list of ingredients.

FWIW, I called the local Toyota dealership to ask if they use distilled water or tap water for their coolant changes. They use tap water.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I think the problem is not using distilled water.

Reply to
m Ransley

Where is the bimetallic choke coil, exactly? Maybe try a solution of vinegar and water...?

(just a suggestion; I'm not responsible for any liability, damages, or injuries for acting on that suggestion...)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett