Chck engine light doesn't goaway

Engine light went up in my Camry 99. Code was 1135. First mechanic replaced air filter and oxygen sensor with another old one. ($95) Light went on again after ~50 miles. Now mechanic forced me to replace oxygen sensor with the brand new one saying that thta's what Toyota recommends. ($224) Light went on again after ~50 miles. Now mechanic wants me to leave my car for a few days and do something else. I will again be out $$$$.

Does this all make sense? To me it's obvious that brand new oxygen filter wasn't needed since light went up again afterwards. Am I right?

Why can't such problem be solved in one shot? Is my mechanic incompetetent?

Reply to
Visa Inquirer

Clay

P1135 is the code for malfunction of sensor 1 bank 1 which is the front A/F sensor (O2 sensor). Had one replaced on my 2002. I belive it was $75 for the sensor (Denzo)and $75 for labor. Was the new check engine code p1135??

Reply to
lobo

Check for sludge. Toyota just gave my 2001 a free ring job. Call Toyota Customer support Program at1-800-331-4331.

P1135 is the code for malfunction of sensor 1 bank 1 which is the front A/F

Reply to
Carl Tuba

New code (the third one) is P0125: insufficient coolant temperature. Mechanic showed me the long check-list of things that should be checked. And he's saying it will take many days to check all these. EGR being one of them, he says car will be shaking in idle if it's bad, injection system (filter?) is another one.

Any suggestions what's the likely thing that's bad? Just trying to get the second opinion and save some time and trouble here....

Now I take this back. :-)

Reply to
Visa Inquirer

Found this link.Has more info than you may want but it was informative.

lobo

Wow, how did you get the free ring job? How did you know you needed one?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett