Re CAMRY Power loss

I finally got a Fuel Filter delivered last week from Toyota. See EARLIER POSTING.

I am no learner at doing this kind of job. I stripped all the Air intake side off to get to the existing filter. The Top Banjo fitting came apart ok but it took a long breaker bar to get the bolt loose. I spent the next hour trying to get the bottom inlet pipe to the filter loose. I finally gave up and just reassembled it all.

I arranged to visit a local garage that does odd work for me. BIG smiles from them that I could not get the bottom connector loose.

20 minutes later they agreed it was the tightest they had tackled. It did finally come loose.

The mechanic showed me the petrol that was stored in the old filter. Pouring it out it looked like Coca Cola in colour near black. I could still blow thru the filter but felt restricted against the new one.

The effect was immediate more lively and willing to perform.

The mechanic pointed out there was a little missing as it idled. Suggesting clean the distributor cap and rotor. But as these were the original from 1995 and 104.000 miles I have just ordered replacements with ignition leads from Toyota. Not the cheapest place to buy from but I know they will be the proper matching parts.

We do need more feed back on this group again. So here is a start. Thanks for the previous comments Gents

JOHNNY UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

On parts like that I try to give them a shot of PB Blaster or similar a couple of times a few days before. Really seems to loosen them up. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
DFBonnett

In news:alt.autos.toyota.camry, "Johnny Melvin" posted on Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:53:38 -0000 the following:

Get this. I went into a dealership once and asked to have my fuel filter changed. The guy in the shop said, "They don't have to be changed."

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

Well I was getting Coca Cola out of mine. I opened it up in my workshop. The whole filter element was a dark brown caused by the rubbish it had been trapping.

So its a good thing to do if high milage.

Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

In news:alt.autos.toyota.camry, "Johnny Melvin" posted on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 00:54:07 -0000 the following:

I would certainly feel better with a new fuel filter. Mine has 115,000 miles on it now.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

Hi

Yea mine had 104.000 miles. Like you maybe I have never changed a fuel filter before. But I have never ran a car up to 104.000 miles before. It had 21 miles on it when I bought it new in 1995.

There is a small YouTube video on changing it. My tube input from the tank was rusted on to the filter. I could not remove it at all. The local garage managed to loosen it. The trick is to hold the Pipe to Filter connection And rotate the filter after you unbolt it from the body.

Of interest what year is your CAMRY

Enjoy

Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

In news:alt.autos.toyota.camry, "Johnny Melvin" posted on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 13:23:30 -0000 the following:

2007 Camry LE with a 4-cylinder engine.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

Wow,

115.000 Miles in that time . Mines only 104.000 since 1995. Fuel is near US$10 a gallon now. 4.5 litres. Its near US$120 to fill the tank.

But I am well retired now 18 years so not as much running around. The Middle East problem is going to reflect in gas prices to. Then the government increase in April. Think I will get a tandem for me and the wife.

cheers Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin