Re: How long can I run AC while idling

You probably hear a secondary fan come on. As long as the car isn't overheating it should be ok. Watch the engine temp gauge if the car has one.

Hello All, > > How long can I run AC while idling, say waiting in parking lot, > without damaging engine, etc? > > We have a new born and when my wife goes to shopping, we wait in car > with AC on and engine idling. I hear the AC engaging on/off and

after

some 30 min the noise gets louder. > > TIA, > vk
Reply to
Art Begun

There are variables. Just how hot is the ambient temperature? We talking about 85 degrees or 110? Is the air pretty much "still" around the vehicle? If "still" then the area of the vehicle floor immediately over the catalytic converter can become quite warm and possibly make for a burned carpet smell.

You NEED TO KNOW that there are an increasing number of states with laws AGAINST leaving a vehicle unattended and locked up with the engine running with any person incapable of exiting the vehicle inside. Do you want Child Protective Services on your butt? The news media here in southern CA has done a "marvelous" job of covering such occurrences so now people do notice such things. BTW, if your A/C shuts down for some reason while the child is inside with the car running and some well intentioned person decides to call the POLICE... you've got a big problem ahead with CPS.

I suggest you not leave your vehicle running with a child inside... period.

Reply to
Philip®

I don't think you read his post. He said "WE WAIT IN CAR"

I th> > Hello All,

Reply to
jimcat

I took it to the next level because that's where this goes. I volunteer time at a hospital and I have heard two sets of parents' excuses. "I usually stay in the car with my baby while my husband goes inside but today, he wasn't along and thought I could just go in by myself for a few minutes (lost track of time)...... the A/C never failed before.... blah blah blah ... Heat prostration.

Popping the hood has virtually no significant effect on A/C or preventing engine overheat. The fans come ON, and once air passes over the condensor (now hot) and the radiator (now hotter) where the air goes afterward does not affect engine coolant heat. Raising the hood does have a beneficial effect (usually) in heat *vapor lock* situations. Engines do not run well on boiling gasoline. Gas will start this behavior around 135 degrees... if I recall right. Anytime you anticipate prolonged idling, DO position the vehicle facing into the prevailing wind and out of the direct sun as much as possible.

--

Philip

"If a long train of abuses, prevarications, and artifices, all tending the same way, make the design visible to the people . tis not to be wondered that they should then rouse themselves."

- John Locke (1632-1704)

Reply to
Philip®