Re: Overheating '93 V6

History: Overheated after about 10 miles at 70mph, spotted it straight away and pulled over. Taken home on an AA truck. Put it into a non-Toyota garage who replaced the radiator cap and core.....goodbye to 350 quid

Overheated again after about 100 miles at 70mph (coolant level was definitely ok at radiator cap at start of journey), spotted it straight away and pulled over. Taken home on an AA truck. Guy in the garage hasn't got a clue. I'm not going back to that muppet. Have been using the car since and topping up the coolant with about 100ml for every 20 mile trip (fortunately this is not the main family car and I can use it for my commute only, never more than 20 mile trips).

After scrutiny, the symptoms are as follows:

When parked up after the engine has been hot the expansion tank is overflowing, leaving a puddle under the car The top hose looks partially collapsed indicating a partial vacuum When I remove the radiator cap the vacuum is released and air enters the system giving me the room to put the water in The engine pings like crazy as it cools down, not having overheated according to the temperature gauge. I don't know if this normal for a Camry..it was second hand and has always done it since I've owned it Engine and transmission oil do not emulsify Engine starts and runs smoothly, power seems ok Exhaust seems fine, no smoke/steam Heater works ok (except when it is right out of coolant)

Anyone out there that can advise me please? unscrew the spark plugs and check for any signs of anti-freeze on the ends of the electrodes if you find any you have the early stages of a head gasket leak if nothing is present find a shop that carries a machine that can check/analyise your coollant for exhaust gases take care of it asap before it harms and eventually ruins your engine.

Reply to
johnin

It sounds like you may have the wrong radiator cap and possibly an obstruction in the hose to the recovery tank. Seems like it flows out when hot and can't draw back in as it cools. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro