Re: Roof racks for 2005 camry

The waves showed up slowly and have grown over time. Texas summer heat may have exaggerated them. There is no distinct wave/stress pattern, and the areas affected are not around the base areas of the Thule feet, but further out more toward the corners of the moon roof. They are clearly visible looking across the roof, but measure less than 1/32" at the greatest depth.

Be sure not to let sand and grit collect under the feet... which will scratch the finish.

Good luck.

V-

>> I've used a Thule with 52" bars ($330 on sale from REI) on my 2000 XLE >> for 8 years with functional success. The roof has developed wavy areas of >> stress from the weight of carrying a kayak or sheets of plywood for >> various projects. I had no idea the roof was thin sheet metal, or I would >> have reinforced it with solid urethane foam or a layer or two of >> epoxy/fiberglass to stiffen the highly flexible metal. >> >> Fortunately, the mis-shapened roof is not a big deal to me... more into >> functionality, and the Camry exceeds my expectations for reliability and >> return on investment. >> >> I carry the racks in the trunk, and carry lumber, canoes, kayaks, MDF (4 >> sheets weighing about 200 lbs). It takes less than 10 minutes to install >> them and a 80 lb. boat on top. Road speeds with canoes and kayaks often >> exceed 80 mph... but there has never been a bad sound or obvious stress >> problem, only the minor deformation... worth $100s come time to trade or >> sell. >> >> Vic > > > Vic: > > Thank you for the information you provided above. > > Out of curiosity: why/how the roof has developed wavy areas if you use the > Thule racks? > Did you place on the racks much more weight than the one suggested for the > Thule racks? > Are the wave areas close to the rack locks, i.e. near the doors? > > I want the racks for similar reasons (ie kayaks) and would like to avoid > any car damage. > > Thank you, > > /PB
Reply to
VideoVic46