Re: Toyota Throttle Electronics Easily Confused

"C. E. White" wrote in news:hm661q$p58$1

>@news.eternal-september.org: > >> >> >>> Or it's simple pedal misapplication, which is the most common cause >>> of SUA >>> by far, and is essentially out of /any/ automaker's control. >> >> Not really - software that recognized both pedals are pressed could >> cut power to the engine. > > >Which Toyota is doing. > >But that doesn't affect pedal misapplication if only ONE pedal is >depressed. That situation covers the overwhleming majority of SUA >incidents. > >

Where can one find the data to support your claim?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:24:22 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

I can't prove what Tegger said and I doubt anybody can - until black boxes are telling the story. That's probably coming as a defensive measure by the auto mfgs. I've never had the problem of mistaking gas for brake. But though you and I may have trouble imagining that happening, it makes sense. Especially since SUA predates electronic throttles. Here's something that happened to me, and though it doesn't fit in exactly with SUA, it's similar. My kid converted his '93 Corsica from auto to a 4-speed Getrag. Shortly after he did it, me, him and my wife went somewhere in it and I said "I'll drive." Just for the hell of it, and to make him feel I wanted to try out his handiwork. I didn't give a shit and thought he was stupid it do it, but hey, I knew he would like that. So I run it up to second gear getting to a stop sign, and I blow the stop, ending up halfway in the intersection because I couldn't stop it. Luckily it's a residential street with little traffic. Turns out he had some big stupid aftermarket pad on the brake pedal that put the right edge real close to the gas pedal, and my foot was pressing both pedals. Seems simple enough, but I had enough of a WTF moment that I ended up in the intersection. You could call it a brain fart, but I cussed and told him to take that crap off the brake pedal. Still don't understand exactly how that happened, but for sure my head wasn't in gear with my foot in a new pedal configuration. I actually had to look down at my foot to figure out what I had done wrong. I was okay with it afterwards, and he never changed the brake pedal pad, because he never had trouble with it. But that WTF moment gave me a glimmer of the kind of confusion these SUA drivers suffer from. But just a glimmer.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

My memory is fuzzy, it's been a while since the Audi 5000 UA issue, but as I recall it was the first generation of Audi with an idle air bypass valve, or some such, and as such it allowed the computer to control, to a limited extend, the "throttle". The Audi's mainly did their UA at low speeds/stops which always made me think it was tied into the idle bypass. Other then sticking pedals on mechanical linkage, and usually after someone has monkeyed with it, I've never heard of UA on a true manually controlled throttle, other then simply stepping on the wrong pedal which no doubt does sometimes happen.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

As I recall they pinned it on the pedal config and changed that. I didn't follow it closely, though I think the mess was initiated here in Chicago when a woman came roaring out of a parking garage and ran over some people. Never cared about getting an Audi anyway. And I probably will never own a Toyota, but this is much bigger news so it's hard to not know something about it. Beside that, it's got me looking into what they're doing with this drive by wire stuff, which isn't Toyota specific. And I notice the EPS problems aren't limited to Toyota, and there are a lot of Cobalt complaints. My wife wanted a Cobalt as her next car, and now maybe I can talk her into something else without electronic control into throttle and steering. If such a beast will even exist when I'm ready.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

ultimately I think we will all be in electric cars, even performance cars. So most likely everything will be electrically driven.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Oh, WeLLLLLLL, I do declare, /I/ have!

If I remember correctly, I believe it can, and has been attributed to rusted throttle cables. And, would you believe, it happens a bit here in the Northeast.

And your logic is fuzzy as well.

Reply to
Hachiroku

In message , Vic Smith writes

I wouldn't have thought that any new car with cable control would pass emissions regulations.

Reply to
Clive