Seat belt sticking

The passanger side seat belt locks up . This will not let go of the passanger. It's suppost to do this on impact. What is wrong and how do you get at the guts of the system? Norm

Norman Rowe

Hate to be a stickler, but which year? Is it a Coupe or Solara? Or a 4 door?

You're going to have to do some interior removal and digging, how much depends on the year/model...

Newsgroups

Reply to
hachiroku

Newsgroups

It's a 1999 CE 4 door sedan. How do youo take it apart? Norm

Norman Rowe

News==----

Newsgroups

This is a bit of a pain...

You'll have to remove the trim panel from the pillar. I'm not familiar with this particular year; if you're lucky it's unemcumbered by the belt, etc. Does the plastic trim panel stop about 1/2 way up? You'll probably have to remove the door trim pieces at the bottom of the door opening..the uh..sill pieces. Then look for screws. If there aren't any then GENTLY pry the trim panel with a screwdriver or a similar, softer item. The belt is behind there. I'd wager it's either off the track or frayed. If it is frayed, have it replaced.

What you can try, if it will pull out, is pull it out all the way and have a look at it. It may not go back in, but you're still no worse than now...you'll just DEFINITELY have to open it up! Check to see if it's wet...this can cause it to bind also. (Hang on, just checked your OP, moisture doesn't cause what you're describing). Also, have a look at the pillar itself. There should be a little plastic cam with an arm on it...this is what releases the belt when the door is open. Is it damaged or missing or stuck? (Trying to think of things BEFORE you start dismantling the car!)

At any rate once you do get the panel off the seat belt retractor is behind that, you'll see it and it should be fairly easy to get at. Check any connectors to it for connection/moisture/corrosion and the whole assembly for the same. Try pulliung the belt and see if the ratchet works. It may be evident once you see it why it's not operating.

Except for that lever I mentioned, it's an electro-magnetic inertia lock that lock the belt in place; I'm sure you've felt it at times locking when you hit a bump and then unlocking when you relax. For some reason, this one is not relaxing...

Bear in mind, I'm just a backyard guy that has had about 20+ Toyotas...I'm not a tech, although I did assemble and test spacesuits for a living at one point, so I'm not COMPLETELY all wet! ;) Good Luck. Tell me what you find!

Reply to
hachiroku

Norman Rowe wrote: || hachiroku wrote: ||| On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 05:08:01 -0500, Norman Rowe wrote: ||| ||| ||| ||| ||| ||| Hate to be a stickler, but which year? Is it a Coupe or Solara? Or ||| a 4 door? ||| ||| You're going to have to do some interior removal and digging, how ||| much depends on the year/model... ||| ||| ||| |||| ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure |||| Usenet News==----

The #1 Newsgroup |||| Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and |||| West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- ||| ||| || It's a 1999 CE 4 door sedan. How do youo take it apart? || Norm

I, too, have a 99 Camry CE. The seatbelts that year are the pits...having far too weak a return spring. I had mine replaced twice under warranty and, once again, the driver's belt usually fails to retract properly. Poor engineering, I imagine.

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the || World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - || Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Reply to
Liberalsareliars