Should I Flush? LOL

96, 4cyl camry with 125k miles. No problems to speak of.

I do no work on my vehicles at all. Local guy for routine maintenance, (reasonably priced and honest). Dealer for major work.

I am bringing it to the dealer to have the following replaced TIMING BELT, (first at 60k), and WATER PUMP, (never changed).

My question is about the Transmission Fluid. I have had my local mechanic drain and fill this fluid at 60k and 90k. I believe my local guy dropped the pan as he called to order some sort of kit when I asked him to do the transmission service, (and the cost was about $60 and took a bit of time).

I understand there is some controversy over the Transmission Fluid Flushes on vehicles with high mileage, (I've done the searches).

The Dealer recommends the FLUSH and they no longer even offer a drain and fill because you "really aren't accomplishing much" by this approach is what was said.

The flush is about $100 from the dealership and I'm not as concerned with the price as I am about possibly "shooting myself in the foot".

Thus I need some "educated" recommendations.

(Also, I have a 2004 toyota matrix with 35k miles and I guess I'd like to know the suggested approach for transmission maintenance with this vehicle as well).

Reply to
seagar

Forget the power flush, just put in a filter and change oil, and dont forget the differential

Reply to
m Ransley

Yeah...what Ransley said. This power flush shit was originally started to make more money on a relatively routine service issue.

Dealers suck.

Reply to
<HLS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Well, the last two words are a given.

But could we delve into this matter of flushing the transmission a bit more? I'm of two minds on the subject - Some people think it's sufficient to replace the screen and gasket, but others think that draining the trans. only gets about half of the fluid, and the remainder stays in, dirty, so the recommendation if for a full flush of all the fluid and its complete replacement.

Comments?

Reply to
mack

=============== I do not believe having the dealer flush the transmission will cause any harm, and it is nice to have completely clean fluid. On severely neglected transmissions there can be some concern, but yours has received some regular service.

---------- I've had the dealer do power steering flush and brake fluid flush, with the transmission flush done elsewhere when first acquiring the vehicle, then just changing fluids regularly afterward has kept everything pristine. I do believe keeping the fluids clean will prolong the useful service life of the affected parts saving potentially expensive repair later.

Reply to
Daniel

There have been anecdotal reports of damage to transmissions because of the power flush procedure. (I don't particularly believe anything that is not documented, but it is possible, I guess.)

Getting all the oil out and getting everything squeaky clean appeals to the minds of a lot of consumers. Although the manufacturers haven't seen it necessary to do this, (or it would have been specified in their service procedures) I see nothing wrong with it, but I would prefer not to use powerflushing to do it.

There is a school of thought that proposes that you shouldn't change fluid at all. They believe that trannies last better with no changes. I think that they are also FOS.

Reply to
<HLS

On a flush you assume it is done with good equipment, properly maintained. Imagine a piece of gravel that has found its way onto the fitting that gets introduced into your trans. Or some settled debris inside the trans gets moved into a critical area. I say a flush is good for a dead transmission to try to revive it, otherwise it has risks.

Reply to
m Ransley

I dont think there is any dead tranny that can be revived by a flush, any more than a dead poet can be brought back to life by an enema.

Reply to
<HLS

That's a way for the dealer to make money. If your local guys changed the strainer and fluid, ask him to do it again. Unless the dealer can show you the machine can clean up the pan and strainer to make them like the new kit your mechanic put in, I say forget it. $100 is a way for them to make money.

I do agree that if you have serious problems with tranny and there are a lot of debris floating through the system, then a flush may be called for as a part of the repair procedure. But if your ATF doesn't get darker than orange or slightly brownish red in color, then just drain and refill with an occasional strainer/gasket replacement should do.

So you wouldn't want the mechanic to change the timing belt, oil seals, idlers, and pump? What's the dealer going to charge you for the whole package did you ask?

seagar wrote:

Reply to
johngdole