1991 A604 trans fluid change

Hello All:

The local Mom and Pop transmission shop that I used for years has changed hands, and I am not comfortable with the new owners (I think they might have sabotaged my wife's Impala on my last visit, but I'll spare you the details).

Anyhow, I have been calling around town, and I cannot find a shop that is willing to do just a transmission fluid change. They all insist on a fluid flush. From what I was told by my trusty old trans shop, fluid flushes can do mare harm than good. Also, some shops think the old A604 can use DEXRON fluid, which scares me.

So, I am thinking about tackling this job myself. I do all of my own oil changes and other simple maintenance, etc, so maybe I can do the trans fluid change, too?

I have a few questions:

1) I have read that some trans filters come with a cork gasket that is sure to leak, other filters have a synthetic rubber gasket that seems to work well, and some come with a tube of silicone rubber sealer. Anyone know what to get?

2) I will buy my fluid from MOPAR at the dealer; how many quarts? Should I get the filter there, also?

3) Any procedures you can recommend?

Thanks for any help, and have a nice day, Bill

Reply to
billccm

It should be a task that you can handle yourself. I would recommend going to the dealer and purchasing the *reusable gasket* and a filter. The fluid can be purchased at most auto parts stores. I have seen it sold under the names of Quaker State and Valvoline. So long as it says ATF3+ and/or type 7176 the fluid should be fine.I paid about $2.50 a quart the last time I bought it.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

I don't vouch for the content, but Google can be your friend, LOL.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

View this thread:

ipashaev

> View this thread:

billccm

Because it is the wrong fluid for a Chrysler 4 speed automatic transaxle.

The Dexron dipstick script has long ago been superseded by a TSB that says to use ATF+3 or better fluid.

Because it is the wrong fluid.

Very likely.

What's going on is; Dexron is the wrong fluid.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

> > View this thread:

ipashaev

Kmathenson had some good info on the reusable pan gasket and fluid.

The problem with quick lubes they have gone flush crazy. And some even do not even change the filter just flush away and use the same type of fluid out of the same barell for everything.

Newer cars and newer transmisssions take special transmission fluid and different fluid change procedures. Check your dip stick and owners manual first. And a note on cry transmissions most but not all have gone to or cry recommends changing them over to the ATX+4 cry transmission fluid. I did it on my own 98 town and country and could tell a difference in the shifting for the good. Check with the dealer to be sure what ones need it. One a 91 I see no special reason to change it over to ATX+4. Just a filter and fluid change will do it cry 7176 or a good ATX+3 Good luck MT

Reply to
MT-2500

Bill,Just in case you have 100,000 miles or more on your A604 it's better NOT to change the fluid anymore. To do so will only hasten it's inevitable failure. I was told that by every trans tech I've ever known.Ron

Reply to
ron

I have changed my transmission fluid every 30K miles since I bought the car new (almost 16 years ago). This will be it's third trans fluid change (90K miles), and the trans, which is nicknamed "a-sick-oh-four" due to it's problems, has been trouble free, so far. I am not sure if

30K fluid changes has contributed to my trouble free experience, but I will continue.

I understand what you are say> Bill,Just in case you have 100,000 miles or more on your A604 it's

Reply to
billccm

That sounds like a simple pan drop (not a true flush) which only replaces about half the fluid. You can replace the filter (pan drop) and then start the engine with the tranny cooler return line disconnected while you add fluid. You can get it all that way including what's in the torque converter. There's no more disturbance of debris that way than driving the vehicle normally (as opposed to a pressure flush), and you get all the fluid replaced. I see little risk there.

Bill Putney

I think you should go ahead with the change, I am curious to know if the transmission controller has ever been replaced. Being that you have a 1991, it probably has the controller that is not flashable. It would probably be a good idea to get the newer one if it doesn't have it already, and program it with the latest code.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Bill,> I agree with changing the fluid at 90K but I wouldn't do it at 120K. Just my $.02.> Ron

Reply to
ron

In 1997, right before the 7/70 warranty expired, my dealer performaned several TSBs and updates to the transmission. The label under the hood says "Chrysler Software Update" and shows a date of 12-1-1997.

I have had the trans serviced at 30K intervals since new; no flush, just a fluid and filter.

I am off to the dealer at lunch to order the re-usable gasket. I'll tackle the fluid change in two weeks when I have some time off work.

Thank you all for your advice!

Bill snipped-for-privacy@sisna.com wrote:

Reply to
billccm

Right on there with the regular service. People that keep there transmission serviced have a lot leess trouble that the people wo do not. Good luck MT.

Reply to
MT-2500

OK, back from the local Chrysler dealer's part dept. I am not sure if they were joking with me, but they said "Good Luck finding that part....our database shows it is on national back order......"

They did give me a few dealer's phone numbers to try, but none are local.

So, again, my question to the Chrysler A604 owners; Is it worth the trouble to find this gasket, or shall I go with a rubber gasket that comes with a NAPA, or Advance Auto filter?

Thanks for your help and time in replys.

Bill

MT-2500 wrote:

View this thread:

billccm

Yes it is a good reusable gasket. Good for 3-5 fluid/filter changes. You can silicone the pan back on but it is hard to glue up without transmission fluid running down in the glue. I let them drain overnight and then glue up and let set a while longer for silcone to set up. Cry does have some good black silicone for transmission pans. And I use import gray silicone a lot of times.

And the rubber gaskets that come with the filter kits just are not as good. Most will seap or squeeze out some. Real pains. Try some local parts places or transmisson shops. For the reusable gasket.

or call transtar 1-800 359 3339 MT

Reply to
MT-2500

I've never had a problem with the ones I've bought. Get the trans filter and gasket from a decent parts supplier like NAPA and you won't have a problem.

The one critical thing though is you must use a torque wrench and make sure the gasket is properly torqued. The factory manual torque figures are low - this is to prevent the gasket from being squished unevenly and causing seepage. The one unfortunate thing about this though is that because the figures are so low, sometimes one or two of the bolts will back themselves out. You want to get under the vehicle a month or so later and check all of the bolts again with the torque wrench. Once they have been setting in the trans for a while they will stop doing this. DONT exceed the torque value or it -will- leak.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Here is the TSB for this reusable gasket:

A/T Pan Gasket - Reusable Design/Installation

NUMBER: 21-05-99 Rev. A

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: Sep. 03, 1999

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-05-99 DATED MARCH 5, 1999 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE ADDITIONAL PARTS AND MODEL COVERAGE.

SUBJECT: Reusable Automatic Transmission Oil Pan Gasket

OVERVIEW: This bulletin announces availability and installation of a reusable automatic transmission oil pan gasket.

MODELS:

1989 - 1995 (AA) Spirit/Acclaim/LeBaron Sedan 1989 - 1993 (AC) Dynasty/New Yorker/New Yorker Salon **1989** - 1993 (AG) Daytona **1989** - 1995 (AJ) LeBaron Coupe/LeBaron Convertible **1989** - 1994 (AP) Shadow/Shadow Convertible/Sundance 1990 - 1991 (AQ) Chrysler Maserati TC 1989 - 1995 (AS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager 1990 - 1993 (AY) Imperial/New Yorker Fifth Avenue 1993 - 1995 (ES) Chrysler Voyager (European Market) 1995 - **2000** (FJ) Sebring/Avenger/Talon 1996 - **2000** (GS) Chrysler Voyager (European Market) 1995 - **2000** (JA) Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze 1996 - **2000** (JX) Sebring Convertible **1993 - 2000 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/New Yorker/LHS/Vision/300M** 1996 - **2000** (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager **1995 - 2000 (PL) Neon** **1997 - 2000 (PR) Prowler**

DISCUSSION:

A reusable silicone gasket has been developed to replace the RTV method of sealing the automatic transmission oil pan. Due to more frequent Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change intervals and the possibility of the fluid foaming if it comes in contact with uncured RTV it is recommended that this gasket be used in all applications.

NOTE: THIS GASKET CAN BE REUSED UP TO THREE (3) TIMES.

PARTS REQUIRED:

**1 05011113AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 31TH** **1 05011114AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 42LE** 1 05011115AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 41TE/AE

POLICY: INFORMATION ONLY

POLICY: Information Only

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Reply to
billccm

Just completed the job! Not too bad, but took me almost three hours start to finish (including clean up), and cost me a little under $60 including MOPAR gasket and filter, and four quarts of Valvoline ATF+4.

I loosened the pan bolts slowly all around, and let it drip for almost

20 minutes, the loosened the bolts some more, and it let it drip for another 20 minutes. Then the pan and filter came off without too much mess.

The pan had a thin rubber gasket from it's last fluid change, so no RTV to scrap off.

The only item of concern is that the aftermarket filter that was in place was hard to pull out, and the new replacement MOPAR filter fit in a bit loosely. YES, it did have the orange O-ring on the replacement filter; it just did not feel as snug as the filter I removed.

Anti-seize back on all the bolt threads.

I torqued all bolts to 18Nm.

I had one quart of ATF+3 that I put back in first, since I read that they are backwards compatible with ATF+4. I cycled the gear selector from R to D while the engine was running parked and added fluid to FULL.

Going for a test drive.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Bill

billccm wrote: