Strange component on the camry underbody

I had the camry '95 LE lifted today for inspection and I have noticed something like a piece of rubber or some sponge tucked in a snug spot between engine oil pan and the automatic transmission... Further inspection shown two studs on the transmission case holding this rubber piece in place...

What is it ? What is its function there ?

Reply to
Pszemol

========================================= Mine has the same thing. I needed to remove it along with a heavier "stiffener plate" right next to it, before changing the oil pan gasket. Factory manual shows this as a prelininary step. The foam is attached to a piece of sheet metal that bolts over the flywheel at the bottom of the transaxle on the engine side. My guess is that it may help quiet vibration

Reply to
Daniel