Tranny recall on certain Odyssey, Pilot and the MDX (Push for replacement or settle for some fluid cooler? Please look inside)

You can read about here,

or below is acut&paste of it.

It says that if there's no sign of any heat damage to the gear, then as I understand it, something will be installed to increase the flow of the tranny fluid to this secondary shaft second gear. However, if there are signs of heat damage already, then the tranny is supposed to be replaced.

My question is, what would you rather have done to your tranny, even if no sign of heat damage had occurred? Does this modification sound sufficient to prevent the gear from further possible damage? It almost sounds like only a bandaid solution to a fundamental design/engineering flaw in the transmission.

Would you guys rather have the tranny replaced in this case, even if no sign of damage was showing? Thanks. ================== Press Release Source: American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

American Honda to Recall Certain Light Truck Vehicles to Repair Automatic Transmissions Wednesday April 14, 11:00 am ET

TORRANCE, Calif., April 14 /PRNewswire/ -- American Honda Motor Co., Inc., today announced a voluntary recall of certain Honda and Acura light truck models equipped with V6 engines and five-speed automatic transmissions to inspect and repair a potential defect in the transmission.

The recall involves approximately 600,000 light trucks manufactured in the U.S. and Canada. Affected models include certain model year 2002,

2003 and early 2004 Honda Odyssey minivans; 2003 and early 2004 Honda Pilots; and 2001 and 2002 Acura MDX sport-utility vehicles.

The situation is created by insufficient lubrication of the transmission's secondary shaft second gear that can occur under certain driving conditions. Prolonged operation under these conditions can lead to heat build-up and under certain circumstances may eventually result in chipped or broken gear teeth or breakage of the gear. In the event of a chipped or broken tooth, the owner will likely experience abnormal noise from the transmission and seek repairs. In rare instances, this condition may lead to gear breakage and possible locking of the vehicle's transmission, creating a potential safety hazard.

This more severe condition is extremely rare and affects only vehicles with high mileage. To date, the company's records indicate only ten confirmed instances in the United States and Canada of this type of transmission failure, with no injuries or accidents as a result.

Owners of affected vehicles will be contacted via mail and will be asked to take their vehicle to an authorized Honda or Acura dealer to be repaired free of charge. In most cases, the repair involves a simple gear inspection, which is accomplished without removing or disassembling the transmission, and a modification to increase the flow of transmission fluid to the affected gear. If during the inspection the service technician discovers discoloration of the gear indicating heat damage, Honda will replace the transmission assembly at no cost to the customer. Owners will be notified by mail when parts are available for their model, with notifications going first to the oldest affected units. Customer mailings will begin in May and should be completed by September.

Details regarding mailing dates and affected vehicles will be available on the Honda and Acura Web sites before the end of April. Owners will be able to access this information by registering at the "Owner Link" section of

or
and entering the 17-digit vehicle identification number found on the driver's side dashboard near the bottom edge of the windshield.

Customers concerned about the condition of their vehicle may also contact their local Honda or Acura dealer, or call Honda customer service at (800) 999-1009 or Acura customer service at (800) 382-2238.

Reply to
Steve Lee

We have a 2003 Pilot and the owner's link indicates no recalls!

Reply to
twaugh5

I shall never buy another Honda product with an auto tranny. 1997-2002 Acura TL and CL, Accord models have a high failure rate and Honda is only extending the warranty to 100,000mi or 7 years.

Reply to
Martik

Working on the assumption that your transmission isn't damage, why do you think that you're entitled to a new transmission? If you get a new transmission you'll get the same thing you have now, just newer and with the mod.

Agreed, I'd rather have a new transmission but if there's no sign of damage, you're not entitled to a new transmission. They're not going to put a new improved re-designed transmission in your car.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

LBJGH

I would first make arrangements to test the trans fluid at the facility of my choice.

Should the test show anything negative, I'd have them replace it.

I *will* do this.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Get ALL the facts before determining it isn't damaged.

One external look-see by some random mechanic at a Honda dealership isn't enough for me. I want a fluid analysis.

Should that come back bad, it's up to Honda to defend any position they may have that doesn't involve the transmission being replaced. My position would be, you know you have problems and the fluid analysis is much more detailed and telling than any external test some dealership mechanic can do.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

all tranny fluid is going to show some metallic particles, some clutch material, etc. unless you know what "normal" honda V6 auto tranny fluid is supposed to have in it, youll have nothing to compare it to.

Reply to
mike

If I read the article correctly Honda was quite clear on what they were going to do. I see nothing where customers are allowed to determine their own testing methods. If you do not want what they are offering fine, sue them. What I find amazing is that this is a Japanese vehicle that someone has admitted that there might be a chronic problem with. Have fun dealing with them, you might find out what they really think of us...

Reply to
Edward Strauss

If my tranny is defective and the fluid cooler kit is just to prolong the period before the failure of the part of the tranny to hopefully get it out of the warranty period, then I am entitled.

Then that's not a question of entitlement or fairness, but, rather, one of bottomline for the car maker.

Reply to
Steve Lee

It's not a fluid cooler based on the article posted, it's a modification to increase the volume of fluid pumped to the secondary shaft. Has your car been under the conditions noted in the article? If not, then it appears you won't be affected by this recall. They'll do the modification and send you on your way.

This article also says nothing with respect to warranty period. As far as I understand, recalls are done to any car effected. Heck, you could go out and cause the situtation, wait for your transmission to fail and bring it into the dealer and they'd have to replace it.

I understand your concern, I was working of your assumption that "if my transmission is not damaged (not if my transmission is diagnosed as undamaged) would you rather have your transmission replaced"? Like I said, if your transmission is undamaged, then you don't need, nor are you entitled to have it replaced.

Now, if they tell you it's undamaged but you don't believe them, that's whole different can of worms. That's neither here nor there for me to dispute.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Good question . Anyone have any details on the modification . For some strange reason the AT on my my 2000 Odyssey (they failed too and Honda extended the ) is not covered under the recall but I would like to see about getting the modication made to mine too .

Reply to
nospam4me

The transmission on your 2000 Odyssey is a 4 speed model, and is completely different than the 5 speed model that's on the 02 and up Odyssey.

Therefore, yours doesn't require the same modification. It doesn't have the same problem.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Must be an April-fool joke. Everyone KNOWS that Honduhs never have transmission problems.

:-p

Reply to
Steve

I believe the 2001 has a four speed. The recall is on the five speed...

Reply to
Woody