Tail Light Replacement

1996 Camry

Tail Light is out. Cops love it; I don't.

I think the whole cartridge needs replacing, but I have bought bulbs. Have removed felt cover in trunk, and find rubber coated housing which, I think, holds bulb. Chilton manual at auto store says to turn and remove. Its sticky.

Anyone know if I can replace the bulb? Or do i have to buy another cartridge.

Thanks to anyone that replies,

Ws

Reply to
Willy in Santa Fe

By cartridge, do you mean the lamp holder? Probably not, just the lamp, but check to see that the lamp is well-grounded when you replace it.

Reply to
mack

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Mack,

Thanks for replying. Here is the situation: the tail light 'cover' was backed into while parked. Sometime after that, the left rear tail light stopped illuminating.

So...I thought I could just go into the trunk, find out where the 'back' of the tail light is, and replace the bulb. Why? Because when I searched online to replace the cracked tail light cover, I found that the whole thing is sold as one big cartridge, for around $125. For $8 I found a bulb at the auto supply store.

The problem I have now, is, I have the little replacement bulb, but can't figure out how to put the damn thing inside the 'cartridge.'

I pray that makes sense. I'm presently short on cash, and really want to figure this out.

Thanks,

Whit Smith

Reply to
Willy in Santa Fe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If your '96 is like my '97, just reach in and turn the base of the fixture (where the wires go into the assembly) about a 1/4 turn, likely counterclockwise but I forget which way, and pull out the fixture with the bulb attached through the hole in the assembly. If this sounds tricky or is difficult, try it on the other side of the car, which hopefully wasn't hit. let us know how you do....

Reply to
mack

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

Mack,

Thanks for the response. Your explanation was great and I thought I'd had it figured, but when I try to turn the black rubber that holds the wires which go into the tail light I can't get it to budge at all. I will see if I can find an answer in the Chilton, but otherwise I'm stumped.

Anyone else know how to do this?

Thanks,

Whit

Reply to
Willy in Santa Fe

Try pushing in a bit as you twist it.

Reply to
Roy

Look here:

has much information on line.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Hey, that's marvelous, Ralph! Much more complete and understandable than any Chilton or Haynes book I've seen! Thanks for the reference.

Reply to
mack