thermostat question

How often should we replace the thermostat on a Camry ('96, '99 in particular)?

What are the signs of failure (short of placing it in hot water and watching it)?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

First off use only a Toyota unit , ive had 2 defective aftermarket units, on one the gasket was not the right size, it never sealed and for

5 years I had a long winter warm up. They last a long time, usualy you overheat or take a long time to warm up in winter to know its bad, Around 100000 miles might be a time, but Toy parts are made to last.
Reply to
m Ransley

There is no fixed replacement schedule for a thermostat. In general, every time you change the radiator or the coolant hoses you should change the thermostat.

For preventative maintenance, I'd change the hoses and thermostat every

6yr/90K, with the revised timing belt schedule. I wouldn't change the radiator on a preventative basis, but you have to keep an eye on it after 90K. The hoses and thermostat (and radiator) usually last longer than that.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks guys! This information is most helpful.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett