Thermostat Orientation on 20R engine

Does anybody know the correct orientation for a thermostat on a 20R engine?

In other words does the spring end of the thermostat go towards the cylinderhead/engine block (down) or towards the radiator (up)?

Thanks for any help.

Dennis (my manuals are all 100 miles away) van Dam

Reply to
Dennis van Dam

It goes down toward the block.

Reply to
Chuck

Thanks Chuck.

That's how I put it in. And now (thankfully) the engine stopped overheating which it spontaneously started doing immediately after I installed a replacement igniter on the coil. But when I took the old thermostat out of the hot engine, it was closed.

For the life of me I can't see how one can be related to the other but in my experience there's usually a relationship when one thing gets changed and it is immediatley followed by another change (failure).

Thanks again for the help.

Dennis van Dam

Reply to
Dennis van Dam